Manager, Data Science, Risk
Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Manager, Data Science, Risk to join our Data team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the Role:
The Manager, Data Science, Risk works across the organization to help develop data pipelines, models, reports and analytics that can help improve our processes.
You will report into a Director of Data Science.
Oscar is a blended work culture where everyone, regardless of work type or location, feels connected to their teammates, our culture and our mission.
If you live within commutable distance to our New York City office (in Hudson Square), our Tempe office (off the 101 at University Ave), or our Los Angeles office (in Marina Del Rey), you will be expected to come into the office at least two days each week. Otherwise, this is a remote / work-from-home role.
You must reside in one of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, or Washington, D.C. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
The base pay for this role is $158,400-$207,900 per year. You are also eligible for employee benefits, company equity grants, participation in Oscar's unlimited vacation program and annual performance bonuses.
You must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Oscar will not sponsor applicants for this role.
- Lead a small team to be responsible for the creation, implementation, and maintenance of data pipelines. This includes ensuring the accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of data flow.
- Develop new models while maintaining and enhancing our existing capabilities. This involves regular model testing, validation, and refinement to ensure the models remain effective and up-to-date with the latest industry standards and practices.
- Design and develop advanced analytics and validation checks on data and statistical model outputs. This includes identifying potential issues, anomalies, or inconsistencies in the data, and implementing corrective measures to ensure the integrity of our models and analyses.
- Collaborate closely with data leaders and business teams to enhance overall data processes and lead the execution with your team. This involves understanding their needs and requirements, providing them with the necessary data support, and working together to develop strategies and solutions that improve our processes and outcomes.
- Manage junior data scientists, provide support/guidance for their day to day projects, manage their outcomes/performance/personal development plans.
- Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor's degree or 6+ years of industry or educational experience in a technical field
- 4+ years of work experience working with Python and SQL to query, manipulate and analyze data
- 4+ years of experience building data models and using more advanced analytics methods, including conducting in depth analysis, rather than simple descriptive analysis
- 1+ years of people management experience
- 4+ years of experience with statistical modeling and data processing/ETL pipeline building
- 2+ years of experience working with and presenting to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience in the healthcare, finance and/or insurance industries
- Master’s degree in a quantitative field + 3 years of relevant experience OR a PhD in a quantitative field
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives..
Final offer amounts, within the base pay set forth above, are determined by factors including your relevant skills, education, and experience.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including: medical, dental, and vision benefits, 11 paid holidays, paid sick time, paid parental leave, 401(k) plan participation, life and disability insurance, and paid wellness time and reimbursements.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.