Director, Product Design
About the Team
The mission of the Transactions and Operations (T&O) Platform team is to strategize, architect, design and build Opendoor’s next generation real estate platform. We build complex large scale systems that orchestrate the entire end-to-end real estate transaction lifecycle for customers.
Opendoor is looking for a director level or senior manager product designer to establish, grow and lead our new design team in India. This team will collaborate on shipping a real estate platform to help our people in operations manage our customers, our homes and transactions at scale.
As the founding designer on the India team, you will have the opportunity to build and mentor your own design team from scratch. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including product managers, engineers, operations and stakeholders, to shape our product strategy and ensure the delivery of the first of its kind real estate systems. We are looking for a seasoned and strategic design visionary who can inspire and lead a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Team Building and Leadership:
- Establish and lead the design team in India, including hiring, mentoring, and managing a high-performing group of designers.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture, encouraging creativity, innovation, and continuous learning.
- Provide guidance, feedback, and professional development opportunities to team members to nurture their growth.
- Design Strategy and Vision:
- Collaborate with stakeholders–including teams in the US– to understand business objectives, user needs, system needs and, translating them into actionable design plans.
- Develop and communicate the product design vision and strategy for the India team aligned with the overall company goals.
- Design Process and Operations:
- Establish efficient design processes and workflows, ensuring seamless collaboration across cross-functional teams.
- Drive design reviews, critiques, and design workshops to facilitate collaboration, ideation, and iteration.
- Advocate for design quality and adherence to brand guidelines, ensuring consistency across all product touchpoints.
- User Experience Design:
- Until the full team is hired, discover problems, help visualize them and design solutions (in collaboration with cross-functional team partners) using industry standard design methodologies.
- Once the team is hired, provide direction and ensure the quality of the user experience design practice.
- Stakeholder Management:
- Build strong relationships and effectively communicate design strategies, concepts, and decisions to stakeholders, fostering a shared understanding of design goals.
- Collaborate with global design teams to align to share best practices, and contribute to a cohesive design ecosystem.
- Design Experience: 8+ years of experience in digital product design, with a focus on user experience design and a record of working on complex systems.
- Management Experience: Proven experience in team management and building high-performing design teams.
- Portfolio: A portfolio that highlights your craft, research, strategic thinking and ability to ship products in collaboration with a larger product team.
- Process: Strong problem-solving skills rooted in design methods, attention to detail, and ability to balance strategic thinking with tactical execution.
- Communication: Excellent communication and storytelling skills, in writing and in speaking.
Bonus Points If:
- Experience in Real Estate, Fintech, or other operationally complex industries (such as supply chain or gig worker companies) – these are all applicable to our business
- Experience with large scale operations: Opendoor relies on the strategic deployment of people, processes, and technology to manage real estate operations at scale.
- Service Design: Experience and familiarity with Service Design
- Systems Thinking: Experience and familiarity with Systems Thinking approaches
- Analytical: Ability to understand business metrics, and how those metrics influence design decisions
- Technical background: Technical grounding will allow designers to collaborate more closely with our engineers
Remote - Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad