Director, Business Strategy & Planning
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Director of Business Strategy & Planning
We are looking for a seasoned leader to drive business strategy development for Okta’s product portfolio and own key pieces of the annual planning cycle. This is a role that demands depth in strategic thinking as well as the ability to build and sustain X-functional executive-level advisory relationships. This role sits within Okta’s central Business Planning Function, rolling up to the President of Business Operations.
Job Duties / What This Role Entails
- Collaborate with VP+ level stakeholders across product management, product marketing, finance, business operations, corporate development and GTM teams to build business strategies for planned new product investments.
- Own the end to end strategy development process: hypothesis development, market research, opportunity sizing, formulation of actionable recommendations, financial impact modeling and X-functional alignment.
- Build the market thesis on key opportunities to drive the growth of Okta’s product portfolio, combining insights from past business performance, external research into evolving market dynamics as well as X-functional input from product and GTM teams. This thesis is a key input into Okta’s annual planning process.
- Deliver executive ready presentations and facilitate discussions to drive key strategic decisions with VP/SVP level functional leaders.
- Develop deep product-level subject matter expertise on the Identity & Access Management market.
- Build and sustain deep advisory relationships with Okta’s product leadership (Chief Product Officer and their direct reports).
- This is an individual contributor role to start but extensively supported by the broader Business Planning Team. The role offers the ability to build a team over time.
Qualifications / Who You Are (Must Have)
- Minimum 10+ years of work experience with 5+ years’ experience (post MBA roles) in strategy (product / corporate), consulting, product management, growth or investment banking roles.
- Strong understanding of B2B SaaS business models
- Experience in building and sustaining executive level advisory relationships
- Extensive experience navigating complex data sets as well as dealing with ambiguity, where clear data is not available
- MBA strongly preferred
Qualifications / Who You Are (Good to Have)
- Experience in customer research via quantitative methods
- Understanding of B2B Enterprise technology space, specifically Enterprise Security
- Undergraduate degree with a concentration in Statistics / Math / Engineering
- Experience at top tier consulting firms (McKinsey, Bain, BCG)
Why this role?
- Deep exposure to product strategy development at a market leading high growth SaaS company.
- High degree of autonomy to shape company strategy and drive impact.
- Strong executive sponsorship from Okta’s product leadership team to engage.
- Ability to take on broader responsibilities beyond strategy development over time.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Below is the annual On Target Compensation (OTE) range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual OTE, which is inclusive of base salary and incentive compensation, will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable) and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.