Senior Defensive Cyber Engineer
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The engineering team inside Okta’s Cyber Defense organization is seeking a DevOps focused individual to join an existing and growing global team.
These security-experienced engineers have the responsibility to build, maintain, and reliably operate mission critical tools and applications used in the day-to-day detecting and responding to threats against Okta and its customers. Desired candidates will have experience both in building serverless applications as well as maintaining them in a production environment. Python is the predominant language used by Cyber Defense and candidates must be comfortable using it effectively.
This position is part of the internal security department and experience working in operation security is desired. Examples include, but limited to, detection engineering, SOC analyst, and security engineer.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with a distributed global team.
- Efficiently configure and manage the generation, shipping, ETL, and ingestion of data sources required for providing for detection and response.
- Build and enhance systems to generate detection signals and enrichment to identify potential threats.
- Partner with members of the detection and response teams to enhance and scale a security alert pipeline.
- Deploy and maintain the operational efficiency of tools and systems used across Cyber Defense.
- Maintain internal tooling efficacy with observability, metrics, and quality of service alerts.
- Identify and implement automation solutions to reduce the friction of the Cyber Defense team and their mission.
- Minimal UX/UI development is expected for this position.
What this position is not:
- Writing security detections or incident response
- Application security, dedicated code reviews, or compliance focused
- Data scientist or machine learning
- Production and critical app development in Python
- Experience developing and monitoring serverless applications in AWS
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and developing CI/CI pipelines. Terraform is currently used heavily.
- A working understanding of ETL/ ITL pipelines
- Building and supporting cyber security centric tools
- 3-5 years of combined experience in software development, DevOps, SRE or security operations
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.