Staff Software Engineer in Test (Customer Identity)
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The Quality Team
Okta’s Customer Identity Cloud (CIC), is an easy-to-implement authentication and authorization platform designed by developers for developers. We make access to applications safe, secure, and seamless for over 100 million daily logins worldwide. Our modern approach to identity enables this Tier 0 global service to deliver convenience, privacy, and security so customers can focus on innovation. The Quality team within CIC is responsible for driving the culture of quality across the organization.
The Quality Engineer Opportunity
Reporting to the Manager of the Performance and Resilience group within Quality Engineering, this role will focus on ensuring that the products being developed and delivered meet the required scaling and load requirements. This involves working closely with cross-functional teams to design and implement quality control processes and identifying and addressing product quality issues.
This opportunity requires someone who is passionate about quality, a self-starter, intellectually curious, has experience designing and executing performance tests, and a systematic approach to troubleshooting.
What you’ll be doing
- Create and maintain performance tests based on usage patterns.
- Design test strategies based on application usage models and production load patterns.
- Understand our CIC(Customer Identity) infrastructure and product in-depth, partnering with platform/product engineering teams to dive into performance anomalies, help find root causes and make recommendations.
- Work closely with platform/product engineering teams to ensure features are being developed with testability in mind.
- Execute performance tests to validate the system performance, capacity, scalability, and stability.
- Document, summarize, and present analysis and results to key stakeholders.
- Provide input on improvements to our load testing framework, process, and dashboards.
- Be a performance advocate and advisor to the Engineering organization.
- Participate in the incident RCA process to understand ways to continuously improve the scale of the product.
- Mentor junior engineers.
What you’ll bring to the role
- 5+ years of experience in performance testing distributed systems at medium/large scale.
- Proficient in tracing, profiling, monitoring and troubleshooting performance bottlenecks.
- Proficient with Artillery, K6, Gatling or similar code-based performance testing tool.
- Experience using monitoring and observability tools such as Kibana, Datadog, Lightstep, Honeycomb, etc.
- Experience testing and analyzing performance of application stacks using NodeJS, Mongo, Postgres, Kafka, and Redis.
- Comfortable with AWS and Azure.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience with containerization (Docker).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work with a globally distributed team.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.