Engineering Manager, (Customer Identity)
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Okta’s Customer Identity Cloud (CIC), powered by Auth0 technology, is an easy to implement authentication and authorization platform designed by developers for developers. We make access to applications safe, secure, and seamless for the more than 100 million daily logins around the world. Our modern approach to identity enables this Tier 0 global service to deliver convenience, privacy, and security so customers can focus on innovation.
Our commitment to identity inspires and sustains our Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging strategy as we aim to celebrate and protect the identities of everyone in our network. Click here to learn more about our commitment to building balanced teams.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Product Experience and Marketplace engineering teams. Successful candidates will have a passion for engineering management, a technical background in building design systems and full-stack web services, as well as the ability to collaborate with others to drive initiatives forward. In this role, you will have the opportunity to significantly contribute to CIC’s customer and partner ecosystem.
What you will be doing:
- Lead and magnify the impact of a highly collaborative team of software engineers in their implementation and operation of complex, secured, distributed systems.
- Grow engineers’ skills, experience and confidence through regular 1:1s, coaching, actionable feedback, work and peer alignment, and career advocacy.
- Work with product and design to build and execute on the roadmap for our internal design system, our customer facing documentation site and our administration dashboard.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and engineers across the organization to ensure that their current and future needs are supported.
- Tie every piece of work back to the mission of making the internet safer and the business value of making it easier for companies to solve Authentication.
- Maintain and strengthen a team culture of growth, openness, trust, rigor, humility, mutual support, and psychological safety.
- Lead the process of recruiting great engineers to meet the growth plan for the team, in collaboration with our recruiters.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Demonstrated success as an engineering lead/manager fostering highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Technical understanding through software engineering experience, especially full-stack software development.
- Experience working in a geographically distributed engineering organization
- Skilled at coaching teammates in all phases of their careers and experience providing focus to teams to enable them to achieve their goals.
- Thrive with a high level of self-direction, autonomy and responsibility
- Confident and know how to deal with ambiguities.
- Enjoy working in an iterative development environment.
- Can add value to a conversation even when you are not familiar with the entire context.
- Work well with technical and non-technical people to deliver high-value results.
- Are a great communicator and communication facilitator.
Bonus points for:
We do not expect you to be an expert in everything below, only that you can learn the less familiar fast:
- Experience building and maintaining internal design systems
- Experience with the front end ecosystem, for example Express, MaterialUI, Typescript, React, and Node.js, etc.
- Experience working on Identity and Access Management software and concepts.
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.