Staff Site Reliability Engineer, Networking
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The TCore Team
Okta’s TCore team is responsible for managing and maintaining Okta’s network infrastructure. This ranges across a variety of tools and technologies consisting of VPNs, Network Load Balancers, Ingress/Egress systems, Firewalls, and other platform enablement services.
The Site Reliability Engineer Opportunity
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys analyzing systems and identifying areas of opportunity to improve system performance, availability and capacity. They are part systems administrator, part network administrator, and part developer.
What you’ll be doing
- Maintain a highly available cloud infrastructure edge for the Okta identity platform
- Collect and analyze data to identify root causes for network-specific events
- Automate AWS infrastructure with Terraform and/or Chef
- Responding to and mitigating threats, attacks, and other network related issues
- Evolve the system by introducing changes to improve efficiency, scalability, and velocity
What you’ll bring to the role
- 3+ years of operations experience configuring, deploying, monitoring and troubleshooting applications and infrastructure in the cloud
- 5+ years administering or operating within a Linux environment, strong experience using Linux based tooling, and ability to debug systems/network level problems
- In-depth understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, Load Balancing, DNS and other networking protocols
- Solid understanding and experience with Apache httpd, nginx, Apache Tomcat, or similar services
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills coupled with a desire to take on ownership and responsibility
- Proficiency in Bash, Python, Golang, or similar. Experienced with git
- Experience working with Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet or similar automation tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work on-call
And extra credit if you have experience in any of the following!
- Experience working in a security-oriented cloud environment
- Experience debugging software using gdb, strace, ltrace, tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with PKI / certificate management
- Experience working with or understanding of BGP and other related technologies
- Experience working across different cloud environments and utilizing cloud agnostic tooling
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
Below is the annual On Target Compensation (OTE) range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual OTE, which is inclusive of base salary and incentive compensation, will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable) and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.