Senior / Staff Software Engineer in Test, SET
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
We are looking for Software Engineer in Test, who is passionate about testing large-scale, mission-critical software in a fast-paced agile environment. The ideal candidate will be partnered with Infrastructure teams to share our passion and great pride in the simple elegance and usability of our solutions. Okta engineering strongly believes in automated testing, UX design and an iterative process to build high-quality next generation software.
The Software Engineer In Test Opportunity
The QA Core team is responsible for release based testing and validation, and developing test services that enable automation for other teams. QA Core also works closely with Release Engineering, Release Management, Technical Operations and Engineering Leadership to ensure our weekly releases across all services are completed on time and with high quality.
This is a high impact role in a key area for Okta’s continued uptime and reliability.
What you’ll be doing
- Analyze/refine requirements with Development and Engineering Leads Partner with Engineering Management to scope and plan test efforts design and implement robust, scalable test solutions
- Participate effectively in a scrum team environment.
- Manage deliverables working under minimal supervision
- Partner with Development and Release Teams to build and execute on product infrastructure growth and high availability
- Understand Okta’s top customers usage
- Review new changes going into test and staging environments
- Ensure new changes are compatible with existing customer deployments and usage; develop new test services focused on release readiness and validation.
- Understand and monitor customer usage patterns and translate them into test requirements for automated or manual testing.
- Develop and execute end-to-end/system test plan.
- Set up and maintain test configurations for end-to-end/system testing.
- Prioritize and ensure that these patterns continue to function for every weekly release in our test and staging environments.
- Review new changes going into test and staging environments.
- Ensure that new changes are compatible with existing customer deployments and usage. Support the QA efforts of our software deployment and release teams.
What you’ll bring to the role
- 2+ years experience in software QA with a focus on release based testing.
- 2+ years of experience working in a SaaS based environment
- 2+ Experience working on both server and client side of device technology
- 2+ Experience with some of the following technologies and services:
- Selenium (preferably with Java)
- Log management tools (Splunk/Sumologic/Kibana)
- Docker, Kubernetes
- 2 years of experience writing SQL, and testing or building out integrated scenarios
- 2 years of experience with Java-based test automation development
- 2 years of experience with developing and executing end to end or system test plans
- 2 years of experience setting up and maintaining test configurations and lab environments
And extra credit if you have experience in any of the following!
- B.S. or M.S. in Comp Sci, Comp Engineering, Software Engineering or a closely related technical field
- 2 - 5 years of experience as a quality engineer or software engineer
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.