Staff Product Designer
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The Design System team is a cross-disciplinary group of designers and engineers responsible for creating, building and maintaining the design system for all Okta Workforce Identity products. We empower Okta internal teams to build quality product experiences at speed and scale using a universal set of components and tools to create scalable solutions for customers' identity needs. We recently launched a new design system site and have plenty more to build, so it’s an exciting time to join our team!
The Product Designer role focuses on building out the components, tools, and workflows needed for our workforce-oriented design system. We’re looking for a hybrid designer/front-end developer who wants to be highly invested in both the design and structure of our components. This role is focused on the needs of our internal product teams and will work closely with product designers and developers to help design, build and implement our system. In addition to designing and building the next generation of tools to accelerate Okta, you’ll join our elite squad of design system hype-folks working to increase adoption across products and features.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Take ownership of the styling layer of our design system–be the bridge between design and implementation
- Identify and document design patterns that can be abstracted into reusable components
- Build out component style and structure in HTML, CSS, and React
- Work through semantic structural needs of our system
- Collaborate closely with product designers and UI engineers to build out documentation and ship production ready components
- Be an advocate for accessibility, internationalization, and responsiveness to help ensure our requirements are met
- Build UIs with multiple product teams to help them solve for customer identity needs
- Increase the design system’s value to consumers and help promote our design system
- Empower designers and developers through a culture of continuous learning by helping to field system related questions and share out best practices with the larger design team
- Act as an advocate and ambassador for our design system
You could be a fit if you:
- Have worked in product or web design for at least 8-10 years
- Have experience building out design systems for products on the web
- Are fluent in HTML and CSS and have some experience with React or similar frameworks—bonus points if you’re familiar with MUI and Emotion
- Are interested in the digging into the details of component design and building them into usable patterns
- Have a love for systems thinking, semantic structures, and design excellence
- Have familiarity with design tokens, object oriented programming and information architecture
- As detail-oriented about design as you are about code
- Have a track record of working with engineers and product leaders to turn ideal solutions into practical realities
- Value giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Are a self-motivated, detail-oriented team player with strong organizational skills
- Are curious about the world of design and product, and love to learn with and inspire your team
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Below is the annual On Target Compensation (OTE) range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual OTE, which is inclusive of base salary and incentive compensation, will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable) and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.