Principal Platform Engineer
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The Digital Experience team at Okta is embarking on a digital transformation to build an identity first digital platform that manages the total experience of the customer lifecycle and brand experience across our digital ecosystems. Our web properties are at the core of Okta’s digital ecosystem and a vital part of our brand experience. This is where our users can learn about our product offerings, request a demo, find resources on our products, discover career opportunities, sign-up and attend our events, sign-up for a free-trial, explore our large integration network, chat with our customer support, and interact with many more great digital experience touchpoints.
To support this growth, we’re looking for a Principal Platform Engineer to join our digital engineering team to build out the future of our digital platform.
What will you do
- Architect, design, implement, and improve the current tooling and foundations of our full stack digital platform that consists of the core content management system, analytics, testing, digital asset management, tag management, and development tools having in mind ease of use, scalability and reliability
- Provide accurate timing estimates on large cross functional projects
- Engage and actively participate in the current team processes and methodologies
- Contribute to documentation and present to management for buy in (instructional, pitch and technical specification)
- Discuss technical solutions with peers and provide innovative new ideas to solutions
- Maintain a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly in regard to digital and marketing technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporate these in future projects, staying ahead of the market, and position yourself and the company as a digital and marketing technologist
What you bring
- Minimum of 12 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 5 years experience; or equivalent experience.
- Efficient verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with presenting to stakeholders on technical projects with a data-driven mindset
- Experienced in an agile environment and development methodologies
- Experience with Cloud service platforms and infrastructure
- Having been part of a platform migration of large web applications and codebases to different programming languages and frameworks preferred
- Good understanding of how servers work, deployments, CI / CD (Heroku, Vercel, Linux, Github Actions, Jenkins, etc.) preferred
- Good understanding of platform networking (Cloudflare, Cloudfront, Akamai) preferred
- Experience implementing, supporting and expanding usage on enterprise CMS platforms (AEM, Drupal, Sanity) preferred
- Good understanding of npm and Node.js (working with a Package.json, npm script, Locks, etc.) preferred
- React knowledge (e.g. JSX, Binding, Classes, Methods, State, Hooks, etc.) preferred
- Experience integrating server-side code (Node.js, Async calls, CORS, Error Handling, etc.) preferred
- Good understanding of version control systems such as Git
- Advanced modern HTML knowledge (e.g. Valid, Semantics, Properties, APIs, etc.) preferred
- Advanced modern CSS knowledge (e.g. advanced CSS3, Flexbox, Grid, Animations, etc.) preferred
- Knowledge on modern styling solutions (Styled-JSX, Styled-Components, Emotion, etc.) preferred
- Cross-browser and cross platform development (User Agent, Stylesheets, Detection, APIs, etc.) preferred
- Ability to collaborate, support and lead cross-functional projects in a fast-moving and dynamic business environment
Below is the annual base salary range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable), bonus, and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.