VP, Strategic Supply Chain
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2023
Natron seeks a General Manager with a strong technical foundation in fine chemical manufacturing to lead the sourcing and manufacturing of high performance chemicals used in the company’s sodium ion batteries through joint ventures and external manufacturing partnerships. This person will assume management of an existing team handling external pilot and industrial production relationships for specialty chemicals. In addition, this person will stand up a joint venture for kilo-ton/yr production of Natron’s anode and cathode materials with an established, high volume producer of key input raw materials. Initially this person will report to the COO however will eventually report to the JV Board of Directors.
At a high level, the person for this position has significant operations leadership experience in a specialty chemical company that manufactures high-performance chemicals at high volume. Strong candidates will have prior experience developing and scaling up chemical processes, leading chemical manufacturing operations, and building technical support teams for process engineering, quality, and process development functions. As a general manager, this person will work with the company’s leadership team to develop, create, and execute the strategic materials roadmap(s) resulting in high-quality, high-value materials for Natron battery production. In addition, this person will develop and grow the business and manufacturing relationships with new and existing partners. The person for this position has a passion for chemical manufacturing, hands-on team building, driving whole team success, and holds themselves and their team to a world-class standard for excellence.
- Stand up the kT/yr anode and cathode Joint Venture (JV)
- Negotiate the JV contract with an identified, large-scale partner currently under LOI; make key decisions concerning operations efficiency vs control (e.g., use partner plant labor, procurement, and admin services vs duplicate it all in the JV).
- Hire the key leadership of the JV – Finance, Operations, and Engineering; grow competent staff that collaborates with partners during design, development, start-up and ongoing operations.
- Lead establishment of the business processes to run the JV plant – EH&S, design/process documentation and control, quality systems including corrective action, preventive action, audit, and training.Manage EPC relationships from design through contracting, construction, and start-up.
- Oversee EPA consent orders for anode and cathode as the plant design is developed.
- Manage the JV as a P&L center for Natron; building operating relationships with the internal customers (Holland and GF), and external customers.
- Manage strategic relationship with our current partner as a parallel supplier and potential second source for the next major step of scale.
- Manage consultants to provide targeted expertise and intermittent resource capacity.
- Provide Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) grant application support on key chemical plant design application sections.
- Manage existing relationships with pilot and industrial partners through an existing team
- Manage an existing team of scientists and engineers providing technical support to partners producing custom chemicals for Natron.
- Oversee an external pilot plant relationship for scale-up of new chemicals.
- Manage the strategic relationship with the external pilot and industrial partners, ensuring reliable delivery, high quality, and financial performance, and providing leadership and vision for the growth of the relationships.
- Find/Develop new relationships with new suppliers of new existing chemicals; negotiate contracts
Required Experience & Skills
- 20 years experience with increasing responsibilities in the fine chemicals industry
- 3-5 years of experience leading chemical supply procurement and contract negotiations for existing and new suppliers
- P&L responsibility for > $50M; Strong financial background with demonstrated knowledge of budgets and financial statements
- New product scale-up experience involving major chemical plant modification or new chemical plant construction.
- Experience with the introduction of new products into existing operations (NPI).
- Experience negotiating long-term supply contracts in the chemical industry.
- Deep understanding and commitment to statistically driven decision-making including process and quality control.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Provides hands-on leadership and training to accomplish Natron goals and objectives
- Attracts, challenges, and develops high-performance talent with diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to partner with and influence external stakeholders including local government, state government
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- MBA/MS/PHD preferred
- Diverse experience with 3-5 years experience in three of the following four job functions: product development, production operations, product management, or business development.
- Leadership in a high-growth/start-up environment
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan with Match, Life Insurance, Parental Leave Benefits, Discretionary Time Off (DTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively, and 11 paid holidays.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $243,000 and a maximum of $329,000.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault-tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up.
Unsolicited Resume Policy
Natron Energy, Inc. (“Natron Energy” or the “Company”) does not accept unsolicited resumes from professional recruiters, third-party recruiting or staffing agencies, placement services, or any other source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes, including partial resumes, candidate profiles, and candidate details or information, sent to Natron Energy or its personnel will be treated as public information provided free of any charges or fees.
Natron Energy will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, unless in connection with a written agreement with the Company then in effect. Such agreement must be pre-approved by Natron Energy and executed by an authorized representative of the Company. Natron Energy specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of an authorized representative of the Company.
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org