Principal Mechanical Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
Natron Energy is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer to lead the mechanical design and development of our high-power battery systems for data center UPS, material handling, EV charging, and other applications.
This position will work within the Product Development engineering organization to solve technical challenges including the conception and creation of new designs that maximize electrical, thermal, and mechanical performance while maintaining manufacturability. They will also execute prototyping projects including building and testing battery packs and racks. This person is a passionate, creative, goal-oriented engineer who is comfortable with developing new concepts and designs. They are capable of providing guidance and mentorship to less experienced team members. This position requires extensive hands-on work and a do-whatever-it-takes attitude to get the job done. This position has the flexibility to grow into a management/senior management role.
- Ownership of mechanical designs for Natron Energy’s product line, from initial prototype to final release, with continued support in production. Design space may span from battery cells and modules to packs and racks.
- Lead and perform physical layout of mechanical and electrical components within battery packs and racks.
- Translate industry and customer application requirements into the mechanical elements of product design specifications.
- Work with the Systems Engineering team for integration of PCBAs, connectors and wire harnesses into the product.
- Document product designs with engineering models and drawings, assembly processes with SOPs and MIs, and mechanical analyses.
- Work with Operations and Manufacturing Teams to meet cost targets and DFM through optimized designs.
- Participate in the mechanical FMEA for product designs.
- Hands-on verification and refinement of the design through prototyping and testing.
- Experience with designs going into commercial production.
- Provide guidance and support to less experienced mechanical engineers.
- Work with the mechanical engineering team to establish standard processes. Improve the processes as needed for optimization and increased efficiency.
- Expert knowledge of system analysis and tolerancing. Familiar with machining, sheet metal, 3D printing, finishing techniques.
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or a related field.
- At least 7 years of engineering experience in the mechanical design of battery packs, systems or other energy generation /storage products preferred; experience in high voltage (300 to 800+ volts) rack-mounted products is a plus.
- Proven ability to convert product requirements into product designs along with conceiving, designing, and prototyping new designs.
- Familiarity or experience with the fabrication of sheet metal and injection moldable plastic components.
- Experience working with suppliers and manufacturing engineers to determine manufacturing feasibility of new designs is a plus.
- Fluency in CAD modeling software (e.g., SolidWorks).
- Experience with thermal design considerations a plus.
- Experience developing with GD&T drafting standards.
- Familiarity with development phases and engineering change processes.
- Experience with designs going into commercial production.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully with project teams, across an engineering organization, and with internal stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic development environment.
- Employee must work on-site in Santa Clara, CA.
- Compensation is competitive with other SF Bay Area senior level Engineering positions
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan with Match, Life Insurance, Parental Leave Benefits, Discretionary Time Off (DTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively, and 11 paid holidays.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $175,500 and a maximum of $237,500.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault-tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up.
Unsolicited Resume Policy
Natron Energy, Inc. (“Natron Energy” or the “Company”) does not accept unsolicited resumes from professional recruiters, third-party recruiting or staffing agencies, placement services, or any other source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes, including partial resumes, candidate profiles, and candidate details or information, sent to Natron Energy or its personnel will be treated as public information provided free of any charges or fees.
Natron Energy will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, unless in connection with a written agreement with the Company then in effect. Such agreement must be pre-approved by Natron Energy and executed by an authorized representative of the Company. Natron Energy specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of an authorized representative of the Company.
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org