Battery Engineer - Research and Reliabilty
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Natron Energy seeks a battery engineer to assist ongoing research and reliability experiments. The battery engineer will work closely with a small team to continually improve upon the quality and reliability of Natron Energy’s industrial power solutions. Natron Energy’s ability to produce batteries that perform reliably across a variety of customer use cases requires a deep fundamental understanding of the unique Prussian blue analogue cell technology. Therefore, the engineer in this role will implement a rigorous fundamental scientific research approach to define and verify battery cell specifications. They will play a critical role in enabling the scale-up of a novel battery chemistry to high-volume production.
The battery engineer in this role will assist in the formulation and execution of materials-level and cell-level experiments with the over-arching goals of improving and minimizing variations in overall cell performance. They will assist in converting experimental findings to specifications that will improve Natron Energy’s battery quality and reliability as the technology scales up to high-volume manufacturing. They will work on cross-disciplinary teams to solve complex problems and implement robust solutions. A qualified candidate will have a solid foundation in chemistry, materials science or a related field. They are detail-oriented, self-motivated, a strong communicator and have the flexibility to continuously self-educate.
- Analysis of electrochemical test data and report generation.
- Battery pouch cell fabrication and testing including GCPL, CV, EIS, etc.
- Destructive analysis of aged battery cells and subsequent characterization of degradation byproducts.
- Materials characterization including SEM, EDX, FTIR, PSD, XRD, ICP-OES, etc.
- Recommend improvements to material and process specifications based on experimental findings.
- Collaborate with and communicate findings to cross-disciplinary team members.
- Collaborate with lab mates tomaintain shared equipment and upkeep an orderly lab.
Required Skills & Education:
- B.S. in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or similar field.
- 1-2 years of hands-on lab research experience, in academic or industry environment.
- Good understanding of design of experiments.
- Good fundamental understanding of electrochemistry; ability to analyze and interpret battery test data.
- Self-motivated, team-player, do what it takes attitude, excited about problem-solving.
- Strong foundation in lab safety with good organizational skills.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- M.S. in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or similar degree.
- Hands-on lab experience with relevant battery chemistries such as Li-ion, including battery material synthesis, electrode fabrication and formulation, electrolyte formulation, cell design and construction, etc.
- Direct experience with materials characterization techniques such as SEM, EDX, FTIR, PSD, XRD, ICP-OES or ICP-MS etc.
- Direct experience with working in a glovebox.
- Direct experience working with battery testers such as Arbin and BioLogic; analysis of data from such battery testers.
- Ability to perform statistical analysis using software such as Minitab or JMP.
- This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Employees must work on-site in Santa Clara
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan with Match, Life Insurance, Parental Leave Benefits, Discretionary Time Off (DTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively, and 11 paid holidays.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $106,500 a maximum of $144,000.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault-tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up.
Unsolicited Resume Policy
Natron Energy, Inc. (“Natron Energy” or the “Company”) does not accept unsolicited resumes from professional recruiters, third-party recruiting or staffing agencies, placement services, or any other source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes, including partial resumes, candidate profiles, and candidate details or information, sent to Natron Energy or its personnel will be treated as public information provided free of any charges or fees.
Natron Energy will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, unless in connection with a written agreement with the Company then in effect. Such agreement must be pre-approved by Natron Energy and executed by an authorized representative of the Company. Natron Energy specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of an authorized representative of the Company.
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org