R&D Summer Internship / Co-Op (2024)
Limelight Steel is on a mission to eliminate emissions from iron and steelmaking and build a brighter future. 8% of global CO2 emissions come from current steelmaking processes - the largest source of industrial emissions. Limelight Steel’s laser furnace converts clean electricity into laser light that is tuned to rapidly and efficiently heat iron ore and create iron metal and steel products - reducing the energy required to electrify steelmaking by 49%. We are building furnaces to produce clean steel that will form the foundations of a fossil-fuel-free world.
We are a startup in Oakland, CA, backed by industry-leading climate tech investors, looking to grow our team. Our people are the foundation of our company, and we are committed to building a diverse and courageous team of people motivated to make a positive impact on the world. We want to hire people who are kind and supportive teammates and have the perseverance to achieve our audacious goal to decarbonize the steel industry.
Limelight Steel is seeking a summer 2024 intern to support the development of our first-of-a-kind laser furnace, designing and running experiments to optimize our thermal decomposition iron-making process. You will get to see the formation of a new technology aimed to reduce industrial carbon emissions-learning everything from how to work with all levels of an organization, applying your coursework to a fast paced R&D environment, and be mentored by driven entrepreneurs and engineers.
- Develop experimental hypotheses regarding process optimization based on first-principles, previous data, and existing literature
- Design and run experiments for a proof-of-concept iron-making laser furnace, following relevant SOPs (standard operating procedure), documenting critical data for future reproducibility, and trouble-shooting any hardware or software issues that arise
- Analyze experimental data, identifying trends and tying them back to physical processes, and communicating key take-aways in concise figures and technical write-ups
- Pursuing a B.S. or advanced degree in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, or another discipline with relevant coursework
- Experience in experimental design, procedural laboratory work, data acquisition and visualization
- Familiarity with Python, Excel, Solidworks, and machining equipment are a plus
- Experience working independently, as well as work in a team-orientated and fast-paced startup-like environments
- Curious, kind, perseverant, and courageous in your work and passionate about decarbonizing the steel industry
- Available full-time from May/June to August/September 2024 in-person at our Oakland, CA laboratory
Limelight Steel is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Full Time Employee Benefits
- Competitive stock option package
- Comprehensive health benefits that include:
- Full premium coverage for UnitedHealthcare PPO Gold for employees with 80% coverage for dependents
- Full premium coverage for Guardian Vision and Dental for employees
- Generous time-off schedule
- 20 days paid time off
- 10 holidays (personalized to the holidays you observe)
- Sustainable 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
- Work computer that suits your preferences, 4K monitor, and accompanying budget for peripherals
- 2x weekly catered team lunches and unlimited snacks/drinks in the office
- A team of curious, passionate, kind, and courageous people committed to eliminating industrial emissions that contribute to climate change
- Unparalleled opportunities for growth, leadership, and project ownership in a dynamic and rapidly-growing startup company