Data Engineer, Lead
At Level, we believe using your benefits should be as easy as buying a cup of coffee. We’re unlocking the full value of compensation by rebuilding benefits as a simple payments experience — fast, flexible, and transparent. Our mission is to empower people to build better financial futures, and we’re accomplishing that by transforming the status quo of benefits.
Level is a B2B2C fintech company comprised of a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Google, Uber, and Airbnb. Together, we’re creating a new payments tech stack to help employers offer more accessible and personalized benefits for their teams — and this is just the beginning.
At Level, collaboration is our superpower. By leveraging each other’s strengths and curiosity, we’ve been able to build a best-in-class product, culture, and business. Plus, our employee benefits are so awesome that we let our customers buy them too.
What You'll Do:
- Become a subject matter expert on our data models and use cases
- Set the technical vision for our reporting and business intelligence and build a best-in-class data platform as we migrate to a new system architecture
- Own the data infrastructure that allows us to scale by defining analytic requirements, developing engineering plans, and ensuring data quality standards
- Develop data pipelines to ingest data from multiple sources and intelligently deal with the complexities of real-world data
- Coach and mentor junior data team members to scaffold their analytics engineering skills
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of prior experience in an analytics or data engineering roles
- Familiarity with some or most of our modern data stack (k8s, DBT, Fivetran, Kafka, LookML)
- Experience leading complex system and database migrations
- Experience with multiple database technologies (e.g., BigQuery, Postgres) and a deep understanding of database design and organization
- Passion for leveling up your colleagues in their data engineering skills
- Experience in a large matrix-style organization where your team collaborates and integrates with other teams across the organization
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
These are some of the technologies we use today. You don’t need to be familiar with all of these, but should be familiar with most of our data stack. During our interview process, you’re welcome to use any language you’re most comfortable with.
- BigQuery, Looker, DBT, Fivetran
- Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, Kafka
- Go, Python
- Protocol Buffers, gRPC
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote first, with an office in NYC (HQ) as an option to work from
- For those not in the NYC area, we offer up to $500 monthly for renting a co-working or office space
- 100% employer paid medical
- 100% employer paid dental through Level with a $2,500 benefit allowance
- 100% employer paid vision through Level with an $600 benefit allowance
- Generous additional fringe benefits offered through Level’s platform:
- $25 monthly through our R&D funds to help stress-test new products and features
- $150 monthly through our Wellbeing lifestyle spending account
- $500 in New Hire Office Funds available in your first 90 days to assist with getting your remote workspace set up
- $1,000 annually through Level’s Mental Health EAP
- $3,000 annually in Education benefits (made available upon your 1 year anniversary) that can be used to continue professional education or be applied towards student loan payments
- $4,000 lifetime balance through our Medical Travel EAP
- $5,000 annually through our Gender Affirmation Fund
- Flexible paid time off: take the time you need when you need it! 10 days of paid sick leave per year
- Company paid STD, LTD and life insurance
- Voluntary life, legal and pet insurance
- 8-16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Quarterly company sponsored events
- The chance to work at a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of benefits and payments!
This position has a minimum base salary of $170,000 and a midpoint base salary of $185,000. The base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to a competitive base salary this position is also eligible for equity awards.
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program: