Vice President of Accounting
Accounting & Finance
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Lessen is one of the fastest growing companies in the real estate services industry. Our proprietary technology platform provides clients with portfolio dashboards, the ability to review and approve project estimates, check in on project progress in real time and pay vendors all in one place! But we aren’t just a tech company. We are also a property service delivery company offering renovations, turns and maintenance to residential and commercial clients. Lessen recently acquired SMS Assist, an industry-leading facilities maintenance technology and delivery company. The new combined national footprint will serve more than 250,000 properties, facilitate approximately 2.5 million repair and maintenance orders, and complete nearly 20,000 renovation and turn projects per year. Lessen has quickly evolved from exciting startup to valued partner, delivering scalable and turnkey property services to our clients.
As VP of Accounting, you will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and work closely with them to help drive all aspects of the accounting operations nationally, drive financial strategy and execution of accounting goals. This includes partnering directly with executives, and the rest of the accounting team to help execute key initiatives and deliverables.
You will join an environment that favors agility, initiative, simplifying complexity, and creative thinking. We genuinely love what we do and are looking for those of you who share this passion. Come work with us in a dynamic environment in which you’ll use your passion, technical experience, and strong problem-solving skills.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the day-to-day accounting operations of the company, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Work directly with the CFO to help develop and execute financial strategy & objectives.
- Help prepare the Financial reporting & operations for a potential IPO.
- Continuously review and enhance accounting processes to reduce close time and maintain accuracy.
- Prepare and present accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Manage general accounting functions with overall responsibility for the company's general ledger system.
- Oversee accounting and banking records, ledgers and reporting, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for coordination and timely completion of the year-end audit.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual audit reports (including footnotes) in accordance with GAAP.
- Lead audit committee meetings
- Involvement with ad hoc requests for both data and analysis, leading and/or participating in cross functional and functional groups to drive financial and operational improvements and/or due diligence projects on potential acquisitions.
- You will assist with developing Board and C-Team presentations
You Should Have:
- 10+ years of public and private accounting in dynamic environments
- 5+ years of experience leading successful teams
- Experience leading an Accounting department in a dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA strongly preferred
- Must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and highly responsive customer service mindset
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills for frequent interaction with company leaders
- Concern for high-quality deliverables and deadlines
- Superb attention to detail, strong planning and organization skills, and the ability to multi-task, prioritize and deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
· Competitive compensation
· Health Insurance 100% paid for by Lessen for employee-only coverage
· Dental, Vision, Life, Disability options
· 401K retirement savings plan
· Paid vacation, federal and floating holidays
· Maternity/Paternity Pay
· Career advancement opportunities
· All the tools you’ll need to be successful
Lessen is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We’re looking for teammates that are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and will help us amplify the positive & inclusive culture we’ve been building. Lessen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.