Clinical Laboratory Scientist (PM Shift)
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,000 pathogens from a single blood sample with typical turn around time in one business day. By introducing liquid biopsy into the diagnosis of infectious diseases, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, with a future vision of accelerating clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
The CLS is an enthusiastic, self-motivated person with great communication skills. This individual performs high-complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, performs quality control and quality assurance procedures, and interprets and reports test results under the direction of the Laboratory Director. The CLS must demonstrate a high level of individual responsibility and accountability and possess the ability to perform to the requirements listed below. The CLS must be comfortable in a rapidly evolving Biotech start-up environment. This is a full-time position of four 10-hour days, 12:00 pm - 10:30 pm, Wednesday through Saturday.
Why Should You Join?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping the industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Report to: Clinical Laboratory Scientist Supervisor
Location: Redwood City, CA
• Perform routine molecular test procedures in an assigned area such as specimen processing, nucleic acid extraction, quantitative analysis, gel electrophoresis, PCR, library construction, sequencing, and data analysis according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures.
• Perform and document routine preventive maintenance
• Perform and document reagent qualification according to approved protocols or SOPs
• Operate high-throughput integrated automation workstations. Use in-house LIMS and other infrastructure software during the performance of job duties.
• Assist in resolving technical problems and ensure that corrective actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
• Maintain accurate records of work performed, perform or monitor instrument calibration and maintenance records.
• Ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
• Assist in training and competency documentation of testing personnel at the required intervals.
• Monitor and maintain quality control and quality assessment programs.
• Create and revise lab SOPs as needed.
• Perform other responsibilities as authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual’s education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
• Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs.
• Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
• May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens, and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
• Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary.
• Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary.
• BS Degree in Medical Technology, Biology, Chemistry, or related sciences preferred (individuals educated in a college or university located outside the US or a US territory require a credential equivalency evaluation by an approved agency).
• ASCP certification w/strong molecular background preferred.
• Valid California CLS Generalist or Specialty in Microbiology, or Clinical Chemist Scientist license.
• Working knowledge of relevant laboratory regulations, and experience with software and automation systems.
• Experience with highly complex molecular testing is preferred, but not required.
• Experience with high sample volumes, NGS platforms, six sigma, lean manufacturing, GMP/GLP/CLIA/CAP/ISO, and software specification development is a plus.
• Molecular Biology experience is strongly recommended
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with team members.
• Highly goal-driven and have demonstrated the ability to effectively prioritize and focus on time-sensitive objectives.
• Strong sense of creativity and ability to push the boundaries of science.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Excellent teamwork and motivation skills are essential.
• Excellent organizational, record-keeping, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
• Strong work ethic to generate high-quality work under tight deadlines.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
See more open positions at Karius
Something looks off?