Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack), Caper
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About the Role
At Caper, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Full Stack Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for leading and coordinating the technical aspects of our software development projects, and play a crucial part in designing, developing, and maintaining web products offered both externally and internally. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and other engineers to build the software systems that power our smart cart technology.
About the Team
Caper AI is a subsidiary of Instacart, and a leading innovator in the retail industry, revolutionizing the shopping experience with our smart cart technology. Its product, the Caper Cart - an AI-powered smart cart equipped with scales, sensors, touchscreens, and computer vision technology, is the cornerstone of the Instacart Platform Connected Stores initiative.
You’ll be joining a fast growing engineering team with a great variety of technical backgrounds, working across the stack to build and scale existing and new products to support the rapid growth of Caper and bring Caper smart shopping cart experience to all retailers.
About the Job
- Lead the technical aspects of software development projects, taking ownership of the entire software development lifecycle.
- Collaborate with product managers and other stakeholders to define project requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- Architect, design, and develop scalable and robust full stack applications using cutting-edge technologies and best practices. Identify technical risks and develop mitigation strategies to ensure successful project delivery.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to the development team, ensuring code quality, performance, and adherence to coding standards.
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends, and assess their potential applications within our projects. Actively contribute to the development and enhancement of coding standards, development processes, and tools.
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Proactive, motivated and self-driven.
- Proficiency in server-side technologies such as Java, gRPC, Node.js.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases, and the ability to design efficient database schemas.
- Effective communication and leadership skills, with the ability to collaborate and influence cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience as a Senior Full Stack Engineer, with a strong focus on both frontend and backend development, and a track record of successfully leading technical teams and projects.
- Experience building real-time web applications, analytics dashboards, or SaaS dashboards, with multi-tenant authentication and authorization.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.