Senior Manager, Security Engineering
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're looking specifically for senior leaders who place an emphasis on usable security. Instacart is a fast-growing company, and our security program needs to be able to keep pace with that growth while not disrupting innovation. You will lead teams to prototype, implement, test, deploy and maintain secure solutions and processes. You will present technical and business process solutions to various stakeholders across the business to address real user needs and incorporate feedback. As a Sr Engineering Manager, strong thought leadership, partnership, strategy-setting, and communication skills are a must.
About the Team
The Sr Engineering Manager of Security Operations will be primarily responsible for the continued evolution of our Vulnerability Management, Detection & Response, DevSecOps and Cloud Security capabilities. You will lead the Infrastructure Security and Detection & Response Teams focused on delivering secure infrastructure through building controls & defenses, detection platform, and incident response capabilities. Your commitment to applying security to business and technology challenges in clean & innovative ways will make you a trusted advisor to your partners and their teams. You will own projects and influence our direction and impact the business in tangible, visible ways, always having a seat at the table.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Grow, develop, manage, and lead a multidisciplinary team of seasoned software engineers, system engineers, and security engineers across all aspects of Security
- Advise executive and senior technical & business leadership on Instacart’s security vision through regular and consistent written and in-person communication
- Lead Security Operations partnership with infrastructure and application teams, to ensure all products are developed and delivered with security in mind through Security by Design and vulnerability management
- Implement policies and procedures that protect our customer and partner data
- Develop and provide metrics and reports to the senior leadership of the top security risks and health of their respective organizations
- Drive adoption of security embedded in application and platform teams through training, awareness, and integration of security principles into CI/CD pipelines
- Implement and direct programs for the identification, reporting, and remediation of information security concerns throughout the company
- Develop InfoSec-related training programs/materials for the company, team members serving as SEMs
- Oversee the evaluation, selection, and implementation of information security tools.
- 10+ years delivering holistic Security Architecture solutions across Cloud Service and Infrastructure (Network, Compute and Internet)Previous leadership experience of directly managing an org of 10+ senior level individual contributors and/or managers with the ability to recruit/hire, upskill, lead, and scale teams.Strong distributed systems and cloud technology knowledge OR application security technology knowledge OR infrastructure security technology knowledge.Deep understanding of best practices in security data lake, incident response, vulnerability management, InfoSec, cloud security.Ability to assess cost/benefit trade-offs of security initiatives in the context of overall business risk mitigation, and Instacart’s operational objectives.
- Bachelor’s Master’s Degree in Computer Science, or other related science/engineering fields (Mathematics, Engineering, etc.)
- An inspirational and effective leader in a fast-paced environment with the ability to be highly adaptive.