Senior Revenue Accountant
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Revenue Accountant to join our End User Revenue Team. This individual will be primarily working on accounting for Instacart’s external and internal promotions and partnerships as well as other consumer revenue areas. We are looking for a motivated individual who will be able to contribute to our team's overall mission of providing reliable financial information and exceptional operations in alignment with Instacart's strategic goals while fostering a culture of inclusion. By providing accurate financial reporting, business guidance, and streamlined processes, this individual will help support the company's ability to sustainably increase profitability and attract long-term investment.
About the Team
Our End User Revenue Team at Instacart is uniquely positioned to account for many different transaction types. Our team manages the accounting for the end-to-end consumer revenue transaction flow for 20+ million orders per month. From delivery/service fees, credit card fees, shopper expenses, to discounts and promotions, our team is responsible for ensuring that each piece of the transaction is properly recorded to the P&L. As Instacart expands its offerings, we collaborate closely with our business development and product teams to ensure that our accounting systems are ready to accommodate every new promotion or business initiative. This dynamic and fast-paced environment is fueled by a remarkable team of motivated individuals who share a passion for financial accuracy and excellence. We are seeking a talented individual to join our team. The ideal candidate will be an analytical thinker with the ability to analyze large data sets, juggle multiple deliverables simultaneously, and be driven by curiosity.
About the Job
Financial reporting month-end close:
- Assist with preparing revenue reporting package, including revenue-related flux comments, revenue deep dive, and revenue-related disclosures
- Record journal entries to account for End User revenue activity during the month
- Perform reconciliations for unbilled accruals, deferred revenue, and accounts receivable
Deal desk contract review:
- Review revenue and partnership promotion contracts, summarize contracts, and assess revenue accounting for ASC606 compliance
- Build processes and procedures to account for revenue and contra-revenue in accordance with GAAP
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvements and automation to improve reporting efficiency and accuracy
- Partner with Internal Audit to build and maintain appropriate internal controls
- Collaborate with various teams such as Business Development, Financial Systems, and Engineering to provide guidance on the impact of contract terms and ensure data readiness for month-end accounting
- Support year end and quarterly audit procedures by providing flux commentary and auditor requested audit documentation
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- 4+ years total accounting experience, including public accounting experience
- Knowledge of US GAAP and internal control best practices
- Eager to take on new tasks and projects
- Ability to thrive in change and ambiguity
- Strong written, oral communication, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills and good business acumen
- Experience identifying problematic areas and determining root cause
- Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Excel
- Big 4 audit experience
- CPA or equivalent preferred
- Experience with Oracle Financials, SAP or ERP system
- Experience with BI tools like PowerBI, Tableau, and Mode a plus
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.