Director, Revenue Accounting
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're seeking a talented leader who will lead a team responsible for accounting for all revenue and cost of revenue. This Director Revenue Accounting will act as the company's subject matter expert on revenue recognition issues, partnering with cross-functional teams, including during contract negotiations and the development of new products. This Director will ensure the company's revenue recognition accounting policies are consistent with GAAP and are updated to address changes in product offerings. This position will manage a team of leaders who oversee the entire Revenue group and report to the Controller.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Lead a team responsible for accounting for all revenue and cost of revenue
- Support the ongoing revenue transformation project, understanding and driving the vision, securing necessary resources, and leading the team through the change process
- Proactively lead and/or perform period-end closing and operational activities in accordance with US GAAP standards
- Review and/or prepare monthly management reports, analyses, and schedules as well as ad hoc reporting
- Support and/or manage internal and external audit work for your area of responsibility – maintenance and updating of internal controls, operational effectiveness testing, financial statement audits
- Develop, recommend, and/or drive innovative process improvements that leverage technology and maximize overall efficiency while maintaining or strengthening internal controls
- Proactively manage internal stakeholder expectations through monitoring and reporting key metrics on the Revenue Accounting organization’s performance relative to quality, accuracy, and timeliness
- As the Company introduces new products and services, lead the design, development and change management in regards to revenue accounting
- BA/BS degree in Accounting
- CPA (or equivalent)
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience; 5+ years in a management role
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of SEC Guidance and GAAP, specifically ASC-606 and ASC 340. Demonstrated experience in developing revenue recognition documentation for external audits
- Proven leadership and team management skills; demonstrated ability to lead, develop, and grow a high functioning team
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to adapt to changes in regulations and proactively implement necessary adjustments
- Experience in a Big 4 public accounting firm or a combination of Big 4 and industry revenue accounting experience; preferably with exposure to a high-tech organization
- Familiarity with data warehousing concepts and technologies; prior experience working with large datasets, data manipulation techniques, and data querying in an accounting context
- Proven ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple, conflicting priorities
- M&A experience, including post-acquisition integration experience preferred
- Experience with Oracle Cloud, Oracle Financial Accounting Hub, and Workiva
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.