Staff Software Engineer, Observability
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
The Cloud Foundations team at Instacart owns the foundational infrastructure that our Engineering teams use to run software services. This includes our public cloud providers, internal networking, secrets management, observability (logs & metrics), along with IAM and our Infrastructure as Code platform. This team also provides the tooling for ongoing economic analysis and optimization of our cloud spend. Instacart is a cloud-native company, so this team’s work is at the heart of everything we do.
Developers on the Cloud Foundations team work hand in hand with teams all over the company, building the next generation of grocery technology at the heart of our business.We’re excited to hire an engineer who wants to solve problems with software, and build the best possible foundation for Instacart’s critical services!
ABOUT THE JOB
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Foundations team, you’ll drive the vision and delivery of our next-generation observability platform. You’ll help us efficiently scale our logging and metric infrastructure, and build new auto scaling strategies to seamlessly manage our compute capacity across diverse hardware families and CPU architectures. You’ll also:
- Enable the evolution of our Infrastructure as Code platform with new automation and investments in cost efficiency, leveraging ML to avoid common pitfalls and expedite building services.
- Create simple to use single panes of glass that empower engineering leaders to gain key insights into their system performance
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support critical Instacart services (once you are settled in your role)
- Optimize our networking infrastructure to maximize speed and reduce latency while remaining cost efficient across our zones and regions
- You have 10+ years of experience in an Infrastructure or SRE role in a production operations context on a public cloud foundation.
- You have experience solving infrastructure problems with software.
- You have experience in a cloud-native environment using Infrastructure as Code.
- You’ve built and run systems for high availability and resilience.
- You have strong technical knowledge of public cloud infrastructure in general, distributed systems, and reliability practices
- You have experience delivering software with a major industry standard language (Ruby/Python/Go/Rust/Java/C++/C#)
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- You have strong technical knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Something looks off?