Regulatory Strategy and Compliance Program Manager
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
At Instacart, we're aggressively working towards our mission to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. To realize our mission, we’re looking for people that are exceptionally talented, pragmatic, driven, and organized self-starters.
We are looking for a Regulatory Strategy, Operations and Compliance Program Manager to join our team.
This includes: regulatory engagement, responsibility for project managing new building planning, design and construction for the extension of existing facilities and any new sites. This Program Manager role will play an integral part in the development and implementation of a facility network infrastructure, analyze and evaluate different facility scenarios, and build-out designs. In addition, this candidate will support all applicable laws, regulations, and standardization of the technical and facility-related processes and systems.
This opportunity combines construction engineering, planning, design, project management, facilities management, and contract management. It requires a person who can show proven ability in the planning and design, and project management/control of new and the enhancement of existing facility buildings.
About the job:
- Lead the initial planning stage of a construction project by collaborating with internal stakeholders, architects, engineers, and other involved parties; develop a detailed description of jobs and materials necessary to complete a construction project.
- Oversee construction engineering, construction documents, planning, and design for all new network buildings and additional capacity requirements or expansion projects
- Prepare reports, specifications, and technical analysis to fully define the design requirements, equipment and services required for capacity expansion and remodel projects
- Oversee and facilitate execution of ground-up shell, TI, and engineering deployment for new facilities within the network
- Work with external resources to provide technical direction concerning engineering design / AutoCAD, building design, layouts, build details, schedules and materials in accordance to Instacart design parameters
- Survey facilities, develop and document procedures to audit the facility, provide evaluations and analysis, and recommend solutions to facility infrastructure, safety and security problems involving facilities and people
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to negotiate contracts with Architects, Engineering Consultants (Fire & Refrigeration), General Contractors, and trade contractors and present formal documentation for approval when required
- Work with applicable legal teams to ensure that contracts are fit for purpose, cost effective, and incorporate appropriate Service Level Agreements
- Consult with Instacart’s Sr Leadership, Finance, Capital Planning, Real Estate, and Food & Health teams on due diligence evaluations of new opportunities
- Facilitate and team with both internal & external stakeholders regarding necessary infrastructure for Operations, Food & Health, Telecom, Refrigeration, and Physical Security
- Partner with Instacart teams tasked with the transition of base building management and oversight of all turnover documentation
- Coach and guide all project teams (architects, developers, design engineers, general contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and internal stakeholders) throughout the full project lifecycle
- Ensure that contracted resources deliver work to meet duration and quality targets, addressing and ensuring the correction of under-performance issues
- Audit contractors to check that the skills and competencies of contract labor are appropriate to need and they are fit to undertake the work on which they will be deployed
- Inform contractors of projected changes in resource or work demand so that they can take appropriate action
- Oversee multiple projects in various locations simultaneously
- Review of designs for conformance to current Instacart and Food & Health specifications
- Provide critical review of current design standards to identify value engineering and design enhancement opportunities to be considered by internal engineering and schematic design partners
- Develop a playbook and SOP for end-to-end design and construction requirements and standardize for Instacart business models
- Analyze metrics, develop and review weekly and monthly milestones and trends to understand where and how to apply appropriate resources. Develop audit processes to ensure current and future builds are in compliance with construction code, zoning, and other regulations.
- Review and guide internally requested changes for validity, impact, and ensure timely and cost-sensitive incorporation once approved
- Lead and/or assist in negotiations with appropriate regulatory entities as required
- Positive, clear, concise, and transparent cross-team communication (written and verbal) for all aspects of project delivery
- Influence stakeholders to integrate environmental, safety, and regulatory parameters into product and process improvement logic.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Public Health or a comparable field
- Experience dealing with both the construction and food industry
- 8+ years of experience as a Regulator, Plan reviewer, or construction manager
- Project management experience from due diligence and design phase through implementation and operation
- Experience negotiating construction, procurement and labor contracts
- Highly proficient verbal, communication, & analytical skills.
- Proven technical leadership for medium-scale commercial projects
- Demonstrated design and/or implementation with material handling systems, such as pallet racking, shelving, and conveyor systems.
- Thorough understanding of contracts, plans, specifications, and regulations
- Project management and/or supply chain/operations experience
- Demonstrable problem-solving and analytical skills using data to drive decisions in a fast pace business environment
- Experience working on complex, cross-functional, ambiguous projects
- Strong attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong executive presence and the ability to influence stakeholders
- OSHA 10 or higher Safety Certification
- AutoCAD, Bluebeam and Microsoft Office software proficient
- Prior experience working with or for state or federal regulatory authorities is a plus
The role will include upwards of 40% travel to all US locations.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Something looks off?