Director of Operational Analysis and Modeling
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
We are currently seeking a creative and dynamic professional to build and lead operational analysis and simulation at Hermeus. As head of operational modeling and simulation, your work will directly shape the series of hypersonic aircraft Hermeus is developing as well as the capabilities they will bring to solve some of the most pressing challenges our customers face. This role requires government, defense industry, and/or FFRDC/UARC experience and mastery of relevant software. This role will be filled at a level commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience either at the manager or director level.
- Instantiate and develop operational analysis capability at Hermeus
- Incorporate mission engineering and risk analysis to create decision-quality quantitative analyses
- Create and develop models to represent real-world systems, processes, and operations
- Gather and integrate engineering and test data to validate and calibrate simulations
- Develop realistic combat scenarios to simulate various mission conditions including different threat environments, targets, and operational constraints
- Assess the effectiveness and survivability of aircraft under different operational scenarios
- Evaluate potential risks associated with aircraft missions, including the likelihood of encountering threats and the effectiveness of defensive countermeasures
- Provide decision-makers with insights and recommendations based on simulation results related to system design, operations, and strategic planning
- Maintain clear documentation of simulation models, methodologies, assumptions, and results
- Effectively communicate findings and results to both internal and external technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, including subject matter experts, other engineers, and analysts to ensure accuracy and relevance of simulation.
- Maintain technical currency with the latest modeling and simulation techniques and associated technologies
- Continuously improve and update models to reflect changing conditions and requirements
- Manage projects related to modeling and simulation, including defining scope, timelines, and resource allocation.
- Identify and model aircraft capabilities and critical systems required to support and execute national security mission sets
- Fuse Advanced Framework for Simulation, Integration and Modeling (AFSIM) inputs into broader DoD-wide analysis support architecture
- Develop tools and processes for evaluating conceptual solutions to complex operational challenges, while expanding AFSIM’s scale of analysis via emerging machine learning and cloud computing tools
- Must hold or be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Position may include additional program security requirements in order to fully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. If so, incumbent must be willing to submit to a Counter Intelligence Polygraph.
- 5+ years of DoD, defense industry, and/or FFRDC experience with operational modeling and analysis
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
- Fluency with relevant software for platform and mission modeling as well as with Python or similar programming languages
- Comfort setting and achieving goals in a complex, multi-disciplinary, and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work in Atlanta, GA or the Washington, D.C. metro area.
- Must be a US Citizen.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.