Senior Mechanisms Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
Hermeus is seeking a Senior Mechanisms Engineer to join our Vehicle & Mechanisms Team. In this senior-level role, you will be responsible for designing and developing complex mechanical systems and mechanisms that are critical to the success of our high-speed aircraft projects.
- Mechanism Design:
- Lead the design and development of mechanical systems, mechanisms, and components for aerospace applications.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define project requirements and objectives.
- Analysis and Simulation:
- Conduct detailed mechanical analysis, including stress analysis, fatigue, and kinematics to validate mechanism designs.
- Utilize simulation and modeling tools to optimize and refine designs.
- Prototyping and Testing:
- Oversee the prototyping and testing of mechanical systems and mechanisms to verify performance and reliability.
- Plan and execute tests, analyze results, and recommend improvements.
- Materials and Manufacturing:
- Select appropriate materials and manufacturing processes for components, considering performance, cost, and sustainability.
- Work with suppliers to ensure high-quality production.
- Documentation and Reporting:
- Maintain comprehensive documentation of design specifications, test results, and performance data.
- Generate reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaboration and Mentorship:
- Collaborate with junior engineers and provide guidance and mentorship to foster their professional growth.
- Foster teamwork and knowledge sharing within the Vehicle & Mechanisms Team.
- Innovation and Research:
- Stay current with industry advancements and emerging technologies in mechanical engineering.
- Contribute to research and development efforts aimed at pushing the boundaries of aerospace technology.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in mechanisms engineering, preferably in aerospace or a related industry.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical design principles, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Proficiency in CAD software (e.g., SolidWorks, CATIA) and simulation tools.
- Experience with FEA analysis and simulation software.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities.
- Project management experience is a plus.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.