Director of Manufacturing
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
As the Director of Manufacturing at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in the development and production of our groundbreaking hypersonic aircraft technology. You will lead a talented team of professionals responsible for the build, integration, machining, and manufacturing processes, ensuring the highest quality and efficiency standards are met.
- Manufacturing Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive manufacturing strategy in alignment with the company's goals and objectives. Drive continuous improvement in manufacturing processes, technologies, and methodologies. Determine long-term operating goals, expansion efforts, and implementation of new and advanced technology.
- Team Leadership: Provide strong leadership and direction to a team of manufacturing managers, engineers, technicians, and support staff. Foster a collaborative and high-performance culture within the manufacturing department.
- Production Planning: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop production plans, schedules, and resource allocation to meet project timelines and delivery targets. Ensure efficient use of resources and adherence to budgets.
- Quality Assurance: Establish and maintain rigorous quality control and assurance processes to guarantee the highest standards of product quality and safety. Implement corrective actions and preventive measures as necessary.
- Process Optimization: Continuously evaluate and optimize manufacturing processes, including machining, assembly, and integration, to enhance efficiency, reduce waste, and increase output.
- Supplier Management: Work closely with the Supply Chain Department to manage relationships with key suppliers, negotiate contracts, and oversee the procurement of materials and components to support manufacturing operations.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure compliance with all relevant industry regulations, safety standards, and quality certifications. Stay updated on industry best practices and emerging trends in manufacturing technology.
- Cost Management: Develop and manage the manufacturing budget, monitor expenditures, and identify cost-saving opportunities while maintaining the highest levels of quality and safety.
- Risk Management: Identify and mitigate potential risks to manufacturing operations, including supply chain disruptions, equipment failures, and process deviations.
- Reporting: Provide regular reports to senior management on manufacturing performance, including key performance indicators, progress against targets, and strategic recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing Engineering or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Extensive experience in manufacturing leadership roles, preferably in the aerospace or aviation industry.
- Strong knowledge of machining, additive manufacturing, integration, and assembly processes.
- Experience working in environment with vertically integrated manufacturing operations.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and developing high-performing manufacturing teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in project management and resource allocation.
- Familiarity with regulatory and quality standards (e.g., ISO, AS9100).
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and innovative environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Proven track record of building, motivating, and mentoring high performance manufacturing teams
- Technical project management experience
- Excellent technical expertise and judgement across multiple engineering disciplines permitting peer-level review of your team’s work product
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together
- Ability to assess risk and make development decisions without all available data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with direct experience negotiating integrated system trades between various stakeholders
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers or vendors
- Highly detail oriented and passionate about advancing the commercial aviation industry
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.