Test Engineer (Fluids and Components)
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
We are seeking an experienced Test Engineer to join our vehicle engineering team and contribute to the development of the next generation of hypersonic vehicles. As a Test Engineer at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in developing, building, analyzing, and operating test assets for fluid systems on our hypersonic vehicles. You will collaborate closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers to ensure the safe and efficient operation of our cutting-edge propulsion and thermal management systems. This position offers a unique opportunity to work on groundbreaking technology in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
The Hermeus Test discipline owns the cradle to grave testing of the fastest unpiloted reusable air breathing aircraft on the planet. These are extraordinary vehicles, and we're seeking extraordinary Test Engineers who can drive, thrive, and survive in a Mach 5 environment.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
- Lead the development, maintenance, and operations of test hardware (including facilities and test rigs)
- Develop and execute tests at the system and component level to evaluate hardware performance and survivability during the mission
- Develop and maintain test procedures, sequences, scripts, configuration files, and software
- Operate and troubleshoot data acquisition and control systems, wiring, and instrumentation. DAQ systems are primarily National Instruments based.
- Operate and troubleshoot fluid and mechanical systems (pumps, heat exchangers, support structure, tooling, fluid components such as valves, reliefs, tubing, etc.)
- Develop innovative processes to increase testing capability and rates, while maintaining high rigor of safety.
- Identify and characterize system pitfalls and potential hazards then work to resolven such anomalies by collaborating with design engineers on improvements for test stands and flight hardware.
- Ability to communicate very well in a collaborative environment. Should enjoy working on a team and be able to be work efficiently with others, including in stressful situations such as rapid pace operations and times of limited resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, software engineering, or STEM discipline.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in development, maintenance, and operations of test hardware. Aircraft test beds is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and mechanical design
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.