Lead Manufacturing Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Manufacturing Team at Hermeus are the boots on the ground. We have a vast array of experiences ranging from welding, additive, tube bending, machining, integration, and avionics. We are a lean team who are responsible for building a vehicle that will fly. We provide crucial design feedback to our engineering team and can rapidly iterate on design and assembly.
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus
- You will lead and develop a team of manufacturing engineers
- You will mentor and foster the continual technical and professional development of team members
- You will work with the design engineering team to drive simplicity into the vehicle systems and their integration at a complex level
- You will build a medium to long-term direction for Quarterhorse integration engineering team to address coming challenges and to meet company goals
- Coordinate and execute development, qualification, and acceptance testing of systems, tooling, and facility improvements needed to meet production rate requirements
- You will be a vital part of the relationship between our engineering and technician team
- You will drive root-cause analysis and corrective action recommendations/implementation
- You will apply process improvement methodologies and tools (e.g. value stream mapping, problem solving, visual management, etc.) to reduce manufacturing build hours and quality issues; increase production rates; and remove waste from complex processes
- You will manage projects and execute to tight timelines while effectively communicating to and influencing stakeholders
- You will work with design engineers to evaluate designs for manufacturability and test requirements, then implement in a rapidly evolving production environment
About You / Valued Experience
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, aerospace engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 5+ years of industry product design, development, or build integration & test experience, specifically focused on integrated systems
- 1+ years of experience performing fabrication and assembly
- Strong communication skills and ability to read and provide feedback on technical documents
- Ability to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Ability to make appropriate assumptions and perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals to create rationale for clear recommendations
- Experience with high volume manufacturing, or design for manufacture and product development life cycle, or quality tools including root cause and corrective action, PFMEAs, QMS and process auditing and statistical analysis of quality metrics
- Experience with metallic manufacturing techniques and equipment for processes such as CNC fabrication, welding (orbital tube and TIG), precision cleaning, forming, inspection, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with CAD and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience in a startup development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
- Experience working with Inconel and Titanium
- Experience working with 3D printed parts, castings, or forgings
- Experience transitioning parts from first articles to production
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.