Propulsion Test Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Hermeus Test discipline owns the cradle to grave testing of the fastest unpiloted reusable air breathing aircraft on the planet. These are extraordinary vehicles, and we're seeking extraordinary Test Engineers who can drive, thrive, and survive in a Mach 5 environment.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus
- Responsible for the development, maintenance, and operations of test hardware (including facilities and test rigs)
- Work closely with other engineers and technicians over a wide range of disciplines
- Inform the growth and capabilities of the company
About You / Valued Experience
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- Professional experience designing fixed or rotary wing aircraft, and air breathing propulsion systems
- Responsible for hardware that was taken from concept to test
- Experience sizing and managing vendors to procure components and instrumentation
- Demonstrate mastery of engineering fundamentals, particularly in the areas of combustion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, material science, aerodynamics, and stability and control
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in a scrappy and cost-effective manner
- Maintain a positive attitude when encounter challenging problems
- Willing to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns
- Professional experience designing fixed or rotary wing aircraft, and air breathing propulsion systems, using CAD and GD&T
- Professional experience building test rigs or facilities including air-breathing propulsion systems
- Professional experience leading test campaigns for fixed wing, rotary aircraft and air-breathing combustors, augmentors, ignition systems, variable area nozzles, or turbomachinery
- Professional experience leading failure root cause investigations
- Professional experience with Siemens Teamcenter and NX
- Experience with jet hydrocarbon fuels
- Experience with the generation of work instructions and quality control associated with nonconformances
- Experience in data and control systems (including instrumentation) and usage for ground and flight testing
- Hands-on experience machining, welding, or integrating hardware (aerospace or other industry)
- Experience certifying test hardware to be used to certify flight hardware
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.