Senior Propulsion Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Engines team is responsible for the engine development efforts that will propel all of Hermeus’ hypersonic vehicles. The primary focus now is on the development of Chimera, which will provide the necessary thrust for Quarterhorse to take flight in the near future.
Through multi-disciplinary efforts to develop air-breathing engines that facilitate ground take-off and flight at supersonic and hypersonic speeds, we are addressing challenges that very few engineers have the opportunity to solve and doing so at a strategic and rapid pace. It is an exciting time to join the team as we dive into the design of the first flight engines. Work and learn with motivated and passionate individuals. Let’s make some fire!
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus:
- Own the design, analysis, manufacturing, test, certification, and flight operations of components/sub-assemblies of the engine
- Work closely with engineers and technicians over a wide range of disciplines
- Inform the growth and capabilities of the company
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience designing jet or rocket propulsion hardware using CAD and GD&T
- Responsible for hardware that was taken from concept to test (ground or flight)
- Demonstrate mastery of engineering fundamentals, particularly in the areas of combustion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, and material science
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in a scrappy and cost-effective manner
- Maintain a positive attitude when encounter challenging problems
- Willing to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns
- 10+ years of professional experience designing jet or rocket propulsion hardware using CAD and GD&T
- Responsible for hardware that has flown
- Professional experience designing, testing, or flying air-breathing combustors, augmentors, ignition systems, variable area nozzles, or turbomachinery
- Professional experience with Siemens Teamcenter and NX
- Professional experience with ANSYS
- Experience in the design and manufacture of alloys for high temperature applications
- Experience with additively manufactured metal alloys
- Experience with jet fuels
- Experience with the generation of work instructions and quality control associated with nonconformances
- Experience in instrumentation selection and usage for ground and flight testing
- Hands-on experience machining, welding, or integrating hardware (aerospace or other industry)
- Experience certifying hardware for flight operations
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.