Senior Product Manager, Foundations
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
This position is remote-based (North America)
We're looking for a Senior Product Manager that can help us work on the future of building, testing, and scaling software!
As a Senior Product Manager for Foundations in Manage Stage, you will be directly responsible for the direction of building user experiences that impact every single GitLab user ( SaaS as well as Self-Managed offering ). Specifically, you will be building & improving “Foundational Experiences” which includes Cross-stage UIs and user workflows that should be consistent, clearly designed, and iterated on like a feature to improve the overall user experience of GitLab. A thorough understanding of what good vs. great user experience looks like and ability to clearly articulate why a design works for the user & business is key to succeeding in this role.
We recommend looking at our company page, the product handbook, our product categories, and the Manage Stage & Foundations Category Direction pages .
What you will do:
- Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective roadmap to prioritize important features properly
- Take high-level feature proposals and customer problems and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
- Balance new features, improvements, and bugfixes to ensure a high velocity and a stable product
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
- Take an active role in defining the future
- Contribute to the product vision, together with the Head of Product and CPO
- Create and maintain a vision for your product area
- Create and maintain the vision for each product category
- Innovate within your product area by proposing ambitious features
- Follow innovation in your product area
- Communicate and evangelize your product vision internally and among the wider community
- Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Be the voice of the customer and the subject-matter expert for your group
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
- Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
What you will bring:
- Demonstrated experience developing products with high usability score and excellent user experience overall.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, including Executive level communication.
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, deployed and operated
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Bonus points: significant experience building successful user experiences for technical products
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with one of our Global Recruiters
- Next, selected candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with a Group Manager, Product
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a Deep Dive interview with a Senior or Principal Product Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a panel interview with an Engineering Manager and Product Designer
- Finally, selected candidates will be invited to interview with a Director or Sr. Director, Product
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional team members at the manager's discretion
About the team
The Foundations team is part of the Manage stage at GitLab. You can learn more about how the team works by visiting our handbook page
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.