Support Engineer (EMEA)
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
Support Engineering at GitLab isn’t just a title - you will be embedded within the Engineering department and will truly operate in an environment where Support and Engineering meet. You’ll interact with customers daily as they encounter the difficult edge cases of running GitLab in complex environments. In the space of a day, you might be doing behind the scenes work of a Linux administrator troubleshooting performance problems by using strace on a particular process, interacting with the Product team to ensure that steps in a bug report are reproducible, or interacting with the Engineering team itself by diving deep into our codebase and putting together a merge request to actually fix a customer issue.
That’s not all though - you’d equally be invited to contribute to the source code, improve our documentation, and help build out more efficient support processes in our issue tracker. We want to live in a world where everyone can contribute, and as a member of the support team, there are no barriers to using your skills to improve the experience of our users and customers.
Some examples of our projects:
- A tool to quickly analyze strace output
- A solution to capture the state of a customer’s server for easier troubleshooting
- A tool which turns log files into interactive tables to easily sort and filter columns
- A functionality to ChatOps to make it easier to identify user accounts on GitLab.com
What you’ll do
- Support a mix of Self-managed and GitLab.com (SaaS) customers and resolve their issues via Zendesk tickets, merge requests, email and video conferencing
- Collaborate with our Product, Development, Infrastructure, Customer Success and Sales Teams to build new features and fix bugs, define and shape the product goals, roadmap, priorities, and strategy
- Create and update documentation based on customer interactions
- Collaborate with Support team members (through Pairing Sessions) and other GitLab team members (for example: as a Support Stable Counterpart)
- Participate in regular rotations for weekday and weekend on-call coverage (daytime only), providing emergency support to our Self-managed and SaaS customers, or working with our SaaS Production team to coordinate incident communications
- Participate in our hiring processes by reviewing applications and assessments, and by participating in interviews.
What you’ll bring
- Experience in, and passion for managing customer facing cases throughout the entire support lifecycle from initial customer inquiry to triage and reproduction, writing bug reports for hand off to the development team, and case resolution
- Excellent Linux systems administration knowledge (LFCE or RHCE equivalent knowledge)
- Ability to use scripting languages (preferably Ruby or Bash), and MVC frameworks (preferably Ruby on Rails)
- Experience with Git and CI/CD
- Expertise in writing support content
- Ability to communicate complex technical topics to customers and coworkers of varying technical skill level
- Familiarity with DevOps methodologies and technologies like Serverless and Kubernetes
- Understand a range of different GitLab implementations, and how service interruptions impact the customer.
About the team
The Support team is distributed all over the world across AMER, EMEA, and APAC regions. Support Engineers work on Support Tickets and helping GitLab’s customers, but they also dig into the code and logs to find out why something is not working as expected. The Collaboration here at GitLab is extraordinary and exciting - Support Engineers solve complex problems together and participate in regular pairing sessions and 1:1s, as well as coffee chats and Slack conversations that help them stay connected. Team members are given the ability to structure their shift the way it best suits their private life while maintaining our ability to address customer issues.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.