Payroll Manager (US)
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
The payroll department is responsible for processing and distributing payroll in a timely and accurate manner. The team coordinates with external vendors including payroll processing platforms, payroll partners and PEOs, as well as internal customers including PeopleOps, Tax, Legal and Accounting. The team is also responsible for reports, earnings information and other payroll data on a recurring basis, as well as compliance with federal, state and local requirements. This role will manage a team of Payroll Analysts in the Americas.
What you'll do in this role
- Lead, manage and develop US direct reports
- Ensure stock activity for team members is properly processed and reported for team member and tax reporting purposes
- Own relationship with PeopleOps
- Subject matter expert for payroll implementation projects
- Ensure compliance with local compensation and tax regulations
- Responsible for data integration between personnel records and payroll systems
- Stay up-to-date on local payroll tax laws and regulations including working closely with local tax and legal advisors to ensure the company follows local regulations with respect to payroll
- Work closely with GitLab contributors and the People Ops team to ensure timely response to questions and requests that have been processed
- Primary ownership for management and external reporting
- Development and implementation of processes and procedures to enhance and streamline the workflow of payments
- Primary contact point for external audit with respect to payroll matters
- This role extends the Senior Payroll Analyst responsibilities
We're looking for
- 7+ years experience in payroll administration, including 3+ years experience in managing a payroll team
- Experience with SOX compliance
- Public company experience a plus
- Proficiency with google sheets
- Detail-oriented, self-directed and able to effectively complete tasks with minimal supervision
- This role to be located in the Americas due to the team they'll manage
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Something looks off?