Staff Mechanical Engineer-R&D
Fulfil is a well-funded, rapidly growing, and inclusive company that has developed a custom automation robotics system to pick and pack online orders of groceries and other consumables, bringing delight and a value proposition to consumers that doesn’t exist today. Additionally, its unique design and technology is purpose-built to solve today’s environmental problems in the world’s food supply chain. Founded by a team with previous startup success and backed by top-tier VCs, we are committed to reducing waste, improving environmental impact, and reducing emissions with truly new technology. Our first commercial product launch with the technology was in summer 2022.
We can’t do it alone -- we’re seeking curious, capable, passionate team members motivated by the opportunity to create lasting impact on the world through their work. This role offers ample growth opportunities while working side-by-side with an impassioned, multi-disciplinary team spanning mechanical design, software, computer vision, systems integration, and ops to design and operationalize world-changing technology.
Fulfil is committed to creating an inclusive culture, and we celebrate diversity of all kinds. If this sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then please apply even if you don’t feel you meet all the requirements listed below. We'd love to hear from you.
Searching for candidates to work in a multi-disciplinary team designing and developing a complex multi-robot system. As a core part of the R&D team you will design automation robotics and mechanical devices, taking ownership of the development design cycle from concept ideation through first build and beyond as we scale our system to production. This role offers the opportunity to work closely with a cross-functional engineering team ranging from R&D Hardware Design, Systems, Process and Operations teams
In this role you will:
- Own challenging automation design projects through conceptualization, design, and assembly, while ensuring design meets system-level requirements
- Align work to the company business roadmap. Evaluate value of work by trading reliability, opex, capex, throughput, and opportunities to increase performance
- Ideate novel solutions to challenging problems - from the system level to individual part design
- Oversee hardware through test and deployment
- Develop and track projects to schedule
- Oversee technical work of engineers who collaborate on your projects
- Encourage technical growth of colleagues through direct feedback and engineering process improvements
- Impact company overall performance by contributing to a positive work culture, encouraging good engineering practices, and helping to create and improve robust engineering workflows and processes
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar
- 8+ years experience in industry
- Experience designing robust automation equipment
- Attention to detail and dedication to thoroughness and engineering procedures
- Someone who wants to make the people around them better
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Hands on aptitude – able to dive in and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to generate ideas in response to complex issues and execute on solutions
What we’d love to see
- Expert in CAD, specifically Solidworks
- Experience in industry designing and manufacturing parts/assemblies/mechanisms in high quantities
- Experience in DFM and DFA
- Experience in food tech
- Desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Care for local and global communities, and desire to make an impact through technology
- Not afraid of robots (but respect their hazards and have a commitment to safety)
What You Get
- A chance to be an early member of a rapidly growing startup and have an impact on company and technology direction
- Ability to solve challenging problems with a skilled and dedicated multi-disciplinary team
- A balanced, highly collaborative work environment where we encourage everyone to ask for and provide help. We value and support individual growth through open communication and feedback
- Hybrid work structure that allows you to choose when and where you get your best work done
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision coverage, with 401K, life and disability coverage as well
- A PTO policy where we encourage and expect all employees to take time to enjoy life outside of work
- Discount on groceries from our store
- The salary range for this position is $150,000- $180,000 plus stock and benefits. Pay within the range is based on candidate experience, job-specific skills, education, and work location.
At Fulfil we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.