Labor & Employment Counsel
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2023
Forward is on a bold mission to make high-quality healthcare available to a billion people across the globe. We’re building the world’s most advanced healthcare platform from the ground up, combining hardware, software, and doctors under one roof.
Forward was founded in January 2016 by former executives and engineering leaders from Google and Uber. We are funded by some of the world's best investors and entrepreneurs, including Founder's Fund, Khosla Ventures, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt (Google/Alphabet Chairman), Marc Benioff (Salesforce Founder), Joe Lonsdale (Palantir Founder), and Garrett Camp (Uber co-Founder).
Press and Videos:
Virtual Tour of Forward [YouTube]
"Health Moves Forward" [CEO Blog Post]
Series D Funding Funds Doctor-led Programs [TechCrunch]
Primary Care Start-ups Vying for 170B Market [Business Insider]
“The Pivot to Virtual Care” [Chief Medical Officer @ Stanford Medicine]
The Meaning of Trans Broken-Arm Syndrome [USA Today]
We’re growing quickly and looking for an experienced labor & employment attorney to join us and help build out our function. You will be one of the first lawyers to join the team and will have the opportunity to learn, create, build, have fun, and make a difference.
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including recruiting, diversity and inclusion, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, pay equity, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, contingent workers, and immigration.
- Evaluate, iterate and scale employment practices and policies at a growing organization.
- Draft, review and update employment related agreements and templates.
- Handle employment-related disputes.
- Conduct audits, employment classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts.
- Source and manage outside counsel on labor and employment matters.
- Help develop and conduct training and education programs for employees, managers, and the People Ops team.
- Provide advice to company-wide partners and help develop strategy on company-wide initiatives and policies affecting employees with a team-oriented approach.
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law, and government enforcement activities relating to employment issues and provide proactive, strategic advice to the relevant stakeholders.
- Pragmatic and efficient: You think quickly and are able to give considered, practical advice without perfect information. You break down ideas, projects, and problems into components and create logical progressions through those components.
- Collaborative: Your impact is much greater because people like working with you and do more for you. We are a flat organization so everyone’s voice is important.
- Adaptable: You are comfortable diving into new challenges.
- Entrepreneurial: You’re a self-starter who works independently with little supervision. You drive projects forward.
- Mission-driven: Our ultimate goal is to help others by bringing them access to better care. We want to bring people on board who share that passion and drive and are motivated to help us get there.
- JD degree
- Minimum 6 years of employment law experience
- Fluency in English
- Member of a US state bar in good standing (California preferred)
- BigLaw and technology company in-house experience
- Prior in-house experience preferred
The base salary range for this full-time position is $150,000-$205,000, plus equity and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, and location.
WHY JOIN FORWARD?
We don’t want to just move dollars around the healthcare industry - we want to rebuild it and fix it. All of it. You’d be a major part of the story behind one of the most ambitious startup attempts of the past decade and you’d work with a team of people who want to use their talents for good.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We conform to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Information collected and processed as part of any job application you choose to submit is subject to Forward’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants.
See more open positions at Forward
Something looks off?