Software Engineer, Devices
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2020
Forward is on a bold mission to make high quality healthcare available to a billion people across the globe. We’re building the world’s most advanced healthcare platform from the ground up, combining hardware, software and doctors under one roof. We are looking for world-class engineers with experience building software ecosystems for hardware products. As an early member of our Hardware and Devices Team, you'll have a key role in building the future of healthcare from first principles.
Forward was founded in January 2016 by former executives and engineering leaders from Google and Uber. We are funded by some of the world's best investors and entrepreneurs including Founder's Fund, Khosla Ventures, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt (Google/Alphabet Chairman), Marc Benioff (Salesforce Founder), and Garrett Camp (Uber co-Founder).
Press and Videos:
Virtual Tour of Forward [YouTube]
Health Moves Forward [CEO Blog Post]
Series D Funding Funds Doctor-led Programs [TechCrunch]
Primary Care Start-ups Vying for 170B Market [Business Insider]
The Pivot to Virtual Care [Chief Medical Officer @ Stanford Medicine]
The Meaning of Trans Broken-Arm Syndrome [USA Today]
What You'll Do:
- Tackle problems on the boundary of software, hardware, and the real world.
- Develop and visualize interfaces for all stages of user experience, from displaying the waveform of a heartbeat to interpreting thermal images of a human face.
- Collaborate with domain experts across everything from board manufacturing to UIs for intuitive human-computer interaction in a healthcare context.
- Work with top-flight software and hardware engineering talent from places like Google, Amazon, Nvidia, Palantir, and NASA JPL.
- Own entire projects while working alongside cross-functional teams of doctors, designers, and operators.
- Your work will directly contribute to saving and improving people’s lives. For real. :)
What We're Looking For:
- Impact - You’re deeply mission-driven and you think there’s more to life than software that enables puppy ears to be superimposed on photos. Although we concede those are cute.
- Smart devices - You have experience developing production software involving several levels of the protocol stack, anywhere from serial I/O and microcontrollers to websockets and MQTT. You are familiar with sensors and actuators, device swarming, and maybe even gesture recognition algorithms.
- Product passion - You care about the bits you ship ending up in users’ hands. You don’t really need a product manager because you’re basically one yourself.
- Entrepreneurship - You’re a self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end. You don’t ask for permission - you’re too busy making things happen.
- Team player - You know how to make those around you better and feed off their energy. You take care of your teammates.
- Curiosity - You like to mess around with hardware hacking, Bluetooth/BLE, or bioinformatics in your free time? You reverse engineered your connected insulin pump? Girl, have we got some fun things for you…
- You have a BS, MS or PhD in computer science or a related technical field with focus on embedded systems, physical sensor deployment, or medical device integration.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or direct equivalent
- 3+ years engineering experience
The base salary range for this full-time position is $100,000-$220,000, plus equity and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, and location.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We conform to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Information collected and processed as part of any job application you choose to submit is subject to Forward’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants.
See more open positions at Forward
Something looks off?