Senior Underwriting Analyst
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — independent retailers around the globe are doing more revenue than Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
Faire’s Risk team is seeking a highly motivated Senior Underwriting Analyst to help us empower small businesses by providing them with credit limits that enable them to grow. The underwriters at Faire conduct due diligence and credit risk analysis to determine appropriate credit limit amounts for retailers. This senior role will also help drive critical initiatives that support our ecosystem of retailers and brands.
This is an ideal role for someone who wants to work as a high-impact individual contributor within the Underwriting/Credit space and have the opportunity to drive projects end-to-end.
What you’ll do
- Evaluate creditworthiness of retail businesses and adjust credit limits based on a review of business credit applications, banking data, payment performance on Faire, and publicly available information
- Perform due diligence on businesses to prevent fraud
- Identify areas for improvement in current Underwriting models, policies, and credit products, and use a data-driven approach to drive the scoping, estimate the impact, and drive the implementation of recommendations
- Work cross-functionally with teams such as Data Science, Engineering, and Product in order to drive product improvements, new feature releases, and efficiency improvements
- Work with Sales and Support teams to streamline communication, improve efficiencies, and provide a world-class customer experience
- Level up team members through new and improved processes, training, and coaching
- A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in financial services, fintech, or related industry, including a minimum of 4 years of experience in small business credit underwriting
- Strong data analysis skills including proficiency in SQL
- Experienced in conducting comprehensive analysis of business banking data and financial statements to evaluate revenue, liquidity, leverage, and cash flow trends
- The capacity to make complex decisions under pressure in a fast-paced setting
- Experience working cross-functionally with Data Science, Product, Engineering, and other Operations teams to execute on high-impact initiatives
- Experience working with data science teams to launch and improve underwriting models
- Strong customer focus and the ability to balance Risk mitigation alongside a positive customer experience
California / New York: the pay range for this role is $127,500 - $175,500 per year.
Colorado / Washington / New Jersey: the pay range for this role is $115,000 - $158,000 per year.
This role will also be eligible for equity and benefits. Actual base pay will be determined based on permissible factors such as transferable skills, work experience, market demands, and primary work location. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Faire’s flexible work model aims to meet the needs of our diverse employee community by making work more flexible, connected, and inclusive. Depending on the role and needs of the team, Faire employees have the flexibility to choose how they work–whether that’s mainly in the office, remotely, or a mix of both.
Roles that list only a country in the location are eligible for fully remote work in that country or in- office work at a Faire office in that country, provided employees are located in the registered country/province/state. Roles with only a city location are eligible for in-office or hybrid office work in that city. Our talent team will work with candidates to determine what locations and roles are eligible for each option.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please fill out our Accommodation Request Form (https://bit.ly/faire-form)