Senior Data Scientist - Shipping Optimization
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — independent retailers around the globe are doing more revenue than Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
Faire leverages the power of machine learning and data insights to revolutionize the wholesale industry, enabling local retailers to compete against giants like Amazon and big box stores. Our highly skilled team of data scientists and machine learning engineers specialize in developing algorithmic solutions for notification and recommender systems, advertising attribution, and LTV predictions. Our ultimate goal is to empower local retail businesses with the tools they need to succeed.
At Faire, the Data Science team is responsible for creating and maintaining a diverse range of algorithms and models that power our marketplace. We are dedicated to building machine learning models that help our customers thrive.
As a Senior Data Scientist for Shipping on the Retailer team, you will work on solving shipping cost problems by leveraging machine learning models, engineering and analysis skills. You will drive continuous improvement of estimated shipping cost and guaranteed shipping prices. You will help drive the adoption of the Ship-with-Faire (SWF) program among brands and optimize the SWF program economics
Our team already includes experienced Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers from Uber, Airbnb, Square, Facebook, and Pinterest. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data scientists and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
What you’ll do
- Build ML models that provide accurate shipping cost estimates. Engineer new features to improve model performance. These models may use live carrier information and be both performant and explainable.
- Develop an off-line calculator that can be called as an API for all tier solutions using product weights and dimensions data provided by the brands
- Maximize customer retention while keeping contribution profits in check
- Develop an in-house utility that can expose information about the shipping cost predictions, making model debugging more efficient. This tool should also allow non-technical members to communicate findings with our brands.
- Tackle complex issues inherent in managing a two-sided marketplace. Your ability to identify and address these challenges will be critical to our continued growth and success.
- Strong machine learning skills and 3+ years of experience productionizing machine learning models (Sklearn, XGBoost, Predictive Modeling, or Deep Learning
- Strong programming skills (Python, Java, Kotlin, C++)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques such as experimentation and causal inference
- SQL or other database querying experience preferred
- An excitement and willingness to learn new tools and techniques
California / New York: the pay range for this role is $173,000 - $238,000 per year.
Colorado / Washington / New Jersey: the pay range for this role is $156,000 - $214,500 per year.
This role will also be eligible for equity and benefits. Actual base pay will be determined based on permissible factors such as transferable skills, work experience, market demands, and primary work location. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Faire’s flexible work model aims to meet the needs of our diverse employee community by making work more flexible, connected, and inclusive. Depending on the role and needs of the team, Faire employees have the flexibility to choose how they work–whether that’s mainly in the office, remotely, or a mix of both.
Roles that list only a country in the location are eligible for fully remote work in that country or in- office work at a Faire office in that country, provided employees are located in the registered country/province/state. Roles with only a city location are eligible for in-office or hybrid office work in that city. Our talent team will work with candidates to determine what locations and roles are eligible for each option.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please fill out our Accommodation Request Form (https://bit.ly/faire-form)