Staff Engineer - Platform Infrastructure
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — independent retailers around the globe are doing more revenue than Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
Our Engineering organization owns the software that makes our marketplace work. Our Platform group enables product engineering teams to develop software with unmatched speed and quality. We care about good engineering practices, excellent developer experience, security, testability, ease of maintenance, and scaling to serve millions of users.
Our Platform Reliability Engineering team builds and operates core infrastructure used by all Faire services. It drives best practices to achieve excellent availability and performance.
The team focuses on the following areas and capabilities:
- Rate limiting & retries
- Circuit breaking
- Fault injection
- Database stability & performance
- Cost / performance optimization
- Monitoring & observability
- Orchestrated safe change management
The team also owns relationships with key infrastructure vendors - public cloud, observability, alerting, edge networking, etc.
We’re looking for: An experienced technical leader with substantial architecture and infrastructure experience to work alongside our highly talented engineers, develop and deliver on a technical roadmap, and engage with teams organization-wide.
What you’ll do:
- Define and execute a technology strategy that scales with our growth; contribute to our architecture with a focus on performance, scalability, reliability, monitoring/alerting
- Lead team planning and prioritization, balancing urgent and near-term needs with long-term goals
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship on difficult open-ended problems
- Extensive experience developing architecture, building, and running distributed systems, diagnosing, mitigating, and permanently addressing production issues at scale
- An interest in solving low-level performance problems and high-level system scalability problems
- A record of leading teams to higher levels of contribution and mentoring Engineers, both in immediate team and organization-wide (200+ engineers)
- Strong communication skills; ability to bring disparate groups of people to a shared understanding
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- Networking (across the entire stack)
- Public cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Caching and storage, both RDBMS and non-relational
- Scaling high-volume, high-traffic systems
- Observability, distributed tracing, root cause analysis (Datadog knowledge preferred)
- Capacity <> cost tradeoffs
- Select technologies we use and teach: AWS, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Redis, Dynamo, Datadog, Cloudflare, PagerDuty, Kotlin
Faire’s flexible work model aims to meet the needs of our diverse employee community by making work more flexible, connected, and inclusive. Depending on the role and needs of the team, Faire employees have the flexibility to choose how they work–whether that’s mainly in the office, remotely, or a mix of both.
Roles that list only a country in the location are eligible for fully remote work in that country or in- office work at a Faire office in that country, provided employees are located in the registered country/province/state. Roles with only a city location are eligible for in-office or hybrid office work in that city. Our talent team will work with candidates to determine what locations and roles are eligible for each option.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please fill out our Accommodation Request Form (https://bit.ly/faire-form)