Director of Financial Planning
Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added banking, learning, and money and career coaching services for Ellevest members, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As the Director of Financial Planning at Ellevest, you will lead the Ellevest financial planning strategy. In this role you will spearhead the ongoing development and expansion of our financial planning strategy, philosophy, and approach. You will lead and develop a talented and diverse team of Financial Planners, dedicated to delivering best-in-class financial planning services to our clients guided by the principles of Ellevest’s investment philosophy. You will work cross functionally with leaders and teams across Client Operations, Investments, Private Wealth, Product, Marketing, and Technology. You’ll work to scale financial guidance as a key component of our offering, find efficiencies in day-to-day tasks, and help the team deliver a quality service to our clients.
You have direct client-facing experience which informs your client-first approach to operational efficiency, process improvements, and scaling. You bring experience solving operational complexities of a growing team. You will serve as a source of best practices for delivering a seamless experience for our clients and maintain high levels of client satisfaction and employee engagement. You are a hands-on manager with proven people development skills and have the technical knowledge required to build a highly engaged team.
Day-to-day you will:
- Take ownership for building a positive, client-first team culture that reflects Ellevest’s mission and core values
- Lead the strategy to evolve the Ellevest financial planning guidelines, philosophies, resources, and training content to maintain continuity and quality across financial planning services
- Create, own and maintain all client-facing materials and content
- Stay current on the CFP guidelines needed to effectively handle client inquiries during financial planning sessions, and work within the org to ensure the team is aware and delivering on those guidelines
- Maintain an informed view of the financial planning industry players and ecosystem to understand and react to changing market trends, threats and opportunities
- Promote professional and team development by maintaining an in-depth understanding of financial planning, capital markets and the financial services industry; stay aware of significant changes or developments (e.g. taxation, regulatory, legal, competitive, technical) within the fields of investments and financial services
- Work collaboratively with leaders across Client Operations, Financial Planning, Investments and Private Wealth to ensure financial planning strategies are aligned and consistent with the Ellevest investment philosophy and strategy
- Launch operational improvements that will contribute to the best possible client-experience, and help streamline the experience for both clients and financial planners
- Monitor scheduling and demand to ensure we are available to our client at the most convenient times for them; triage scheduling issues
- Monitor and track financial planning revenue, working closely with the VP of Client Operations to drive revenue optimization
- Work with team members to provide support and feedback to help them grow in their areas of expertise and as a part of the Ellevest team
- Comply with Ellevest procedures and guidelines, and uphold our documentation and organization standards to meet compliance requirements
- Create reporting materials and presentations for a variety of stakeholders including company leadership
We’re looking for:
- 7+ years of broad financial planning experience; 3+ years of managerial experience
- Active CFP in good standing; CFA and other designations are not required (but are welcome). Note: Given our status as a Registered Investment Advisor, we cannot carry FINRA Series 6, 7, 63, or 66 licenses.
- Demonstrated track record of success managing and scaling teams in a startup environment
- Experience designing and executing process improvement projects to drive operational efficiency
- Ability to manipulate and leverage data to effectively match staffing to demand
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, high emotional intelligence, and the ability to translate complex financial topics to audiences of different levels of experience and knowledge
- Intellectual curiosity, humility, and a willingness to learn from a wide range of people
- A solution-oriented mentality, and an exceptional attention to detail
- A keen sense of resourcefulness and ability to own and implement efficient, structured processes with minimal input
- Proficient in analytical skills needed to leverage data to make informed business decisions
- Experience adapting to and relying on new technology
- Comfort with change and an ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment with a high degree of autonomy
- Ability to think creatively, with a strong bias for action
- Passion for our mission
Ellevest's compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective annual salary range for this role is $140,000-$145,000. In addition to base salary, Ellevest compensation offering for full-time employees will also include the following benefits: equity, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical, dental and vision health insurance (80% of premiums covered by employer), unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling, paid parental leave, learning and development opportunities, financial support for accessing reproductive healthcare, free access to an Ellevest account and discounts on Private Wealth Management offering. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant's experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.
Something looks off?