Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added banking, learning, and money and career coaching services for Ellevest members, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Financial Advisor on the Private Wealth Management (PWM) team, you will have the opportunity to shape a new offering for our clients, working closely with our Private Wealth Management and Investments teams to ensure the delivery of best-in-class financial advisory services guided by the principles of Ellevest’s investment philosophy. You believe that effective investing can be achieved by reducing costs, taxes, and risk through diversification, and not through market timing or chasing alpha. You will develop and maintain ongoing partnerships with a range of clients through regular, meaningful contact as part of our Private Wealth Management services offering to high net worth individuals. You will be working closely with clients to develop a customized goals-based financial plan based on their unique financial situation, and provide ongoing financial advice to help them reach their objectives.
Day-to-day you will:
- Build, maintain and grow a book of business through dedicated relationship management and nurturing
- Develop a thorough understanding of each of your client’s needs, goals, and financial status in order to guide them based on Ellevest’s investment philosophy
- Provide and recommend strategies in a clear, supportive, and helpful manner to help clients achieve their goals over time
- Identify appropriate savings, investment, and spending strategies to reflect clients' risk preferences, liquidity needs, and investment objectives
- Demonstrate exceptional client relationship management capabilities; build written and verbal plans to communicate recommended strategies to clients; set, manage, meet and exceed client expectations in order to build value in relationships over time
- Monitor portfolios for clients on an ongoing basis to retain and grow our client relationships, and conduct periodic reviews to help clients feel connected to Ellevest and their investing strategy
- Comply with Ellevest methods and guidelines, and uphold our documentation and organization standards to meet compliance requirements
- Promote professional and team development by maintaining an in-depth understanding of financial planning, capital markets and the financial services industry; stay aware of significant changes or developments (e.g. taxation, regulatory, legal, competitive, technical) within the fields of investments and financial services
- Maintain all required licenses and designations
- Support the growth of new product offerings and team development as Ellevest scales
We’re looking for:
- 8+ years experience and demonstrated track record of success in building your own book of business in financial advisory; relationship management for female clients preferred
- Active FINRA Series 65, and/or active CFP designation in good standing
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, high emotional intelligence, and the ability to translate complex financial topics to audiences of different levels of experience and knowledge
- Intellectual curiosity, a deep desire to solve problems, and an exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to serve as a successful and determined advocate for your clients
- Experience relying on and adapting to new technology
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest's compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective annual salary for this role is $100,000. In addition to salary, the Financial Advisor compensation plan includes a quarterly performance-based bonus structure tied to individual business development goals. Ellevest compensation offering for full-time employees will also include the following benefits: equity, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical, dental and vision health insurance (80% of premiums covered by employer), unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling, paid parental leave, learning and development opportunities, financial support for accessing reproductive healthcare, free access to Ellevest membership and discounts on Private Wealth Management offering. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant's experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.