Certified/Registered Veterinary Technician
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
At eGenesis, we aspire to deliver safe and effective human transplantable cells, tissue and organs utilizing the latest advancements in genome editing.
Seeking a motivated individual to join the team and provide animal care according to eGenesis Program of Animal Care. The CVT will manage the surgical suite by preparing animals and instruments for surgery, monitoring anesthesia, and assisting veterinarians. Additionally, the CVT will perform animal health observations for sick or injured animals and report to them to the eGenesis Veterinarian and assist the veterinarian in any clinical procedures.
Finally, they will assist veterinarian and/or animal care leaders in all animal-related experimental phases and follow the line of communication established between the farm and the R&D and animal operations department while abiding by all company policies and procedures relevant to this position. This role offers the opportunity to blend and expand skillsets from surgical, laboratory animal, livestock, and biomedical science backgrounds – all in support of the developing field of xenotransplantation.
- Responsible for observing and reporting on the behavior and condition of animals identified as sick or injured by farm staff.
- Responsible for administering medications and treatments to surgical patients. Consult with veterinarian and provide medications, vaccines, and treatment list to farm staff.
- Provide emergency first aid or general nursing care for surgical animals and new health concerns as they arise.
- Responsible for maintaining and keeping surgical records updated.
- Responsible for animal health observations of those animals produced by the eGenesis cloning and breeding programs.
- Assist in or perform diagnostic tests and ultrasound for pregnancy detection.
- Responsible for providing pre- and post-operative care. To administer anesthesia and to assist during medical procedures. May perform euthanasia and assist during necropsy.
- Assist veterinarians and scientists in biomedical research.
- Maintain the surgical suite and all supplies clean and organized, including sterilization and preparation of surgical equipment.
- Ensure compliance with company biosecurity practices to safeguard health of all animals produced by eGenesis.
- Promote and adhere to safety in the workplace. Follow safe work practices and enforce health and safety regulations. Report unsafe acts and conditions and ensure equipment is maintained correctly. Report all accidents/incidents. Inspect your area and take remedial action to minimize or eliminate hazards: complete required training assignments, forms, and other paperwork.
- Promote and adhere to the eGenesis animal welfare policies. Follow all applicable regulatory requirements (USDA, FDA, OLAW) regarding animal welfare and ensure humane care according to the Guide for the care and use of laboratory Animals.
- Tasks are completed during regular business hours Monday-Friday. As essential personnel, on-call or availability for emergency response may occasionally be required but very limited.
- Support from leadership to enroll in continued education opportunities to maintain certifications, attend seminars and career development.
- Eligibility to take the VTNE with commitment to do so within 6 months of hire
- Substantial veterinary surgical support experience may be substituted for educational requirements
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Adherence to regulations / requirements as outlined by State in which to CVT / RVT is located
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands or arms, lift files and operate a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust to focus. The employee frequently is required to lift laboratory supplies and equipment within the daily routine. Occasionally the employee may be required to handle and work with large animals.
This job operates in multiple environments, including office, laboratory, and animal husbandry environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This job may require the use of hazardous chemicals, conduct sample collection on livestock and operate in a dusty environment