Animal Care Technician
Posted on Friday, February 3, 2023
At eGenesis, we aspire to deliver safe and effective human transplantable cells, tissue and organs utilizing the latest advancements in genome editing.
The Animal Care Technician shall provide animal care and upkeep animal areas in accordance with the company standard operating procedure (SOPs) for GLP/GMP facility, regulatory agencies guidelines, and to perform tasks in accordance with the company’s different study protocols. This position will be required to shower-in into the animal facility to perform the required tasks. In addition, we ask that you perform daily animal health observation and welfare compliance according to the USDA and OLAW guidelines and operate within the company’s biosecurity protocol. This position will assist other personnel in all animal-related experimental projects and follow the line of communication established between various departments as well abide by all eGenesis policies and procedures relevant to this position. This position will be expected to be involved in a weekend and holiday rotating shift schedule.
- Feed and clean all research animals enrolled on reproductive studies
- Closely observe animals whenever working with them and report any unusual conditions immediately
- Prepare animal diets and disinfect equipment following SOPs
- Be responsible for the handling of animals enrolled in LOPU, and embryo transfer studies
- Handle animals in such a fashion to prevent injury to staff as well as to the animal
- Consistently follow all preparation, stimulation, sanitation, and identification SOPs
- Prepare and maintain animal related equipment and facilities
- Responsible for maintaining all aspects relative to research animal care, health, and treatment
- Follow instructions and recommendations for treatment according to established SOP’s or direction of the site veterinarian
- Inform the direct supervisor and site veterinarian about any issues and/or abnormalities observed
- Support, as needed, Certified Animal Technician or veterinary technician (CVT) and Veterinarian on the preparation of animals undergoing to surgeries
- Responsible for maintaining and keeping health and herd management records updated
- Responsible for activities associated with assisted reproductive technologies (ART) activities
- Perform estrus synchronization, injection of hormones, and heat checking
- Move oocyte donors and surrogates into chute, surgery suite, recovery room, and back to pig room
- Attend appropriate educational workshops or conferences as approved by the supervisor
- Promote and adhere to safety in the workplace by following safe work practices and enforcing health and safety regulations. Report unsafe acts and conditions and ensure equipment is properly maintained. Inspect own area and take remedial action to minimize or eliminate hazards. Complete required training assignments, forms, and other paperwork
- Promote and adhere to the eGenesis animal welfare policies
- Follow GLP/GMP, USDA and FDA guidelines regarding animal welfare. Report any deviation from acts or conducts related to animal activities and humane care according to the Guide for the care and use of Laboratory Animals
- Due to the nature of operating a research animal facility, there is potential to be asked to work overtime hours as well as a rotating weekend/holiday schedule
- B.S. in Animal Science or related field
- Working knowledge of farm equipment
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel in particular)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of swine operation is beneficial but not required
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands or arms, lift, and operate a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust to focus. The employee frequently is required to lift laboratory supplies and equipment within the daily routine. The employee will be required to handle and work with large animals on a daily basis.
- This position will be required to shower-in into the animal facility to perform the required tasks. This position operates in multiple environments, including office, laboratory, and animal husbandry environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This position may require the use of hazardous chemicals, conduct sample collection on swine and operate in a dusty environment.
See more open positions at EGenesis
Something looks off?