Head of Design Systems
About the Team
Our Design Infrastructure team is a cross-functional group of designers and engineers who build the design system and design tools for DoorDash across all of our platforms on Mobile and Web. We help support every product that we build for our Customers, Dashers, and Merchants, helping make delightful delivery of anything in your neighborhood happen! We oversee the design language of DoorDash, defining the visual, interaction, and motion foundations that are shared through our design system of components, patterns and guidelines.
About the Role
We're looking for a Design leader to lead the design systems across our products, lead the team defining these systems, and be an advocate of design craftsmanship across our product, design, and engineering organizations. This design leader is excited about pushing the creative boundaries to shape the design language and make DoorDash a more memorable and engaging place where people love to shop.
You'll manage a team of design systems designers responsible for the DoorDash Design System, Prism, across all of our products. Managing your team includes:
- Design Systems Strategy- You'll contribute to the strategy of our future design systems work, ensuring that it's focused on making an impact on our products. The standardized design decisions made in our design systems will have a broad and meaningful impact across our platforms.
- Stewardship of Quality and Innovator of Craft - You'll work with your team and the broader product design organization to be a steward of design craft and quality throughout our products—aiming to guide, influence, and improve future quality through systems.
- Collaboration with Design Engineering- You'll work together with design systems engineering leadership to ensure that there's alignment and quality between your team and their engineering counterparts.
- Team Mentorship– You'll coach the designers on your team, providing both project feedback and career guidance, and create opportunities for your team members to grow.
- Hiring– You'll partner with our recruiting team to find, attract, interview, and hire new designers for your team, across systems roles and including design specialists.
- Cross-Team Leadership– You'll work with your peers in Product Design, Product Management, Engineering, User Research, Brand Design, and more to determine a shared vision and roadmap for our design system.
You will report to the Director of Design Foundations in our Product Design organization. You will work in a hybrid model a few days a week onsite from a Design hub, and the rest working from home.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Lead projects that have made a deep impact on the product before. You understand how to create opportunities from the ground up to address user problems.
- Create and execute a vision for systems. You stretch the boundaries of what design systems can be, and what they can accomplish when performed with exceptional resourcing, relationships, and vision.
- Set the high bar for craft and quality—you care about the details and know how to coach your team and others to exceed that bar.
We're excited about you because…
- You have 8+ years of design experience and 3+ years of experience leading successful design systems or product design teams.
- You have experience recruiting and retaining outstanding designers.
- You have experience building and shipping design systems across a variety of platforms.
- You have worked on large-scale projects across multiple teams.
- You excel at storytelling, making complex concepts simple and easy to understand.
- You value high-quality, well-crafted visual design and care about the details.
- You are experienced at promoting alignment across product design and product engineering counterparts.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.
Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis