Engineering Manager, Ads Quality
About the Team
The mission of the Ads Quality team is to show the most relevant ads and promotions to our users across all our verticals, ad formats for both search (query context) and discovery experiences. This team owns both the retrieval and ranking stages in the ads delivery funnel.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager with hands-on experience in modern machine learning and recommendation systems to lead a team that develops advanced machine learning models to show the most engaging and relevant promoted content to the users.
Ads Quality is a critical part of the Ads Delivery funnel with deep personalization playing a central role. The opportunity is massive as DoorDash expands into new verticals like Grocery and Retail while building unique innovative ad products to leverage the closed loop marketplace.
About the Role
- Manage a growing team of ML and backend engineers
- Continue to build a team that can support end-to-end execution of ranking, retrieval, GenAI initiatives for deeply personalized promoted content.
- Support a culture of analytical rigor and systems understanding.
- Understand and advocate for the needs of Consumers, Advertisers and Doordash
- Work closely with product managers on roadmap development, set the technical direction
- Coach and mentor team members and help them develop their career path and achieve their career goals
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Lead and grow a team of exceptional machine learning engineers delivering end-to-end ML solutions
- Work with Product, Design, and Business stakeholders across DoorDash to define the roadmap and vision for the team to drive strong business impact.
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, first-principles thinking and teamwork
- Build an outstanding team by coaching and empowering engineers through delegation, and applying your technical expertise to hold your team to the highest engineering standards
- Scale the team by developing internal, and attracting top external talent
We're excited about you because you have…
- M.S., or PhD. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of industry experience building production machine learning systems at scale
- 2+ years of leadership experience leading 6+ member teams
- Strong communication skills and the ability to partner with XFN teams across product, data science and business
- Experience with Ads domain is a big plus
- Ability to guide and grow an excellent engineering team in a rapidly changing business environment
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.