Software Engineer, Intern - Toronto (Summer 2024)
About the Team
DoorDash is building the world’s most reliable on-demand logistics engine for delivery! We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our fast-growing engineering team to help us develop a 24x7 global infrastructure system that powers DoorDash’s three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
About the Role
At DoorDash, our product engineers implement and operate technological solutions to improve the experiences of our merchants, dashers, and consumers. From creating beautiful, user-friendly flows to crafting scalable backend architectures, we strive to deliver reliant, performant technology that delights our customers.
We believe interns are essential to our mission of attracting and retaining top talent. During our 12-week Software Engineer internship, interns are completely immersed in their teams and will have the opportunity to develop, maintain, and ship products. As an intern, you will directly impact our business by collaborating with your team to solve real problems for our customers.
The 2024 internship program will be hosted in onsite at the Doordash office in Toronto, ON
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Develop, maintain and ship technical elements with the support of your mentor, manager, and team members
- Act on feedback, coaching, and mentorship from your mentor and team members
- Actively learn about the elements to which you contribute
- Make a direct impact on our business by collaborating with your team to solve problems for our customers
- Participate in intern programming - AMAs, game nights, cooking classes, etc
- Present your summer learnings during Demo Day at the end of the internship
Here are some examples of past intern projects:
We’re excited about you because…
- You are currently enrolled at a Canadian university pursuing a B.S. or M.S. Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, have no more than 2 years of full-time work experience, and are graduating between Fall 2024 to Summer 2025.
- You are available for a May or June 2024 start date. (Internships are hosted in Summer only)
- You have experience working with databases (e.g., AWS, SQL, etc.)
- You have a solid understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- You have proficient experience working with at least 1 object-oriented programming language (e.g., Python, Java, Kotlin, etc.)
- You have experience writing clean code, working with version control, and doing unit testing.
- You are excited about a hybrid summer work experience.
Preferred but not required
- At least 1 previous Software Engineering internship or equivalent relevant experience
- Ability to improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various systems
- Excited to develop, release and run large-scale web applications
- Experience with solutions for systems monitoring, live deployments, and continuous integration
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Experience working with service-oriented architecture, writing APIs, and designing systems.
- Participation in project or research-based technical work, hackathons, technical conferences/organization, on-campus student organization leadership, technical teaching assistant roles, relevant extracurricular activities, or other technical experience.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.