Senior Manager, Actuarial
About the Team
The Finance and Strategy team is responsible for accelerating the growth of our business by identifying and implementing new opportunities and solutions as well as building the financial infrastructure and rigor to support the scale of the business. We partner with teams across the company to improve the profitability, scalability and defensibility of our business model - delivering financial predictability, business accountability and insights to optimize decisions and resourcing. We’re looking to hire strategic thinkers who can model the future, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively to help carry projects from conception through execution.
About the Role
We are looking for a passionate, experienced actuary who will be a member of DoorDash’s Risk & Insurance function within the Finance & Strategy team, and will focus both on third party insurance programs as well as utilization of our captive insurance company. As one of the core actuaries at DoorDash, you’ll have the rare opportunity to come in at the program formulation stage of DoorDash’s Captive and to help inform operational strategy and enable optimal structuring of insurance programs. This self-starting individual will have the unique opportunity to help build out the actuarial foundation at a rapidly-growing company.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Establish efficient, sophisticated internal actuarial models and processes across multiple lines of business and geographies, monitor loss trends/development and effectively communicate relevant business implications to management team
- Leverage your domain expertise in conducting internal actuarial analyses, deep dive exposure study and industry trends, with an emphasis on the commercial auto and occupational accident lines of business
- Uses best actuarial practices to develop and ensure appropriateness of highly complex actuarial/statistical analyses/methodologies used, and be able to defend such actuarial assumptions, methodologies and selections
- Create streamlined, cutting-edge tools and conduct quantitative analyses to help inform operational strategy, enable optimal structuring of insurance programs, and assist company risk management efforts.
- Collaborate with operators and cross functional teams on insurance and safety initiatives
We’re excited about you because you have…
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, optimism, grit, and a growth mindset
- Domain expertise with actuarial analysis and experience building sophisticated actuarial models
- 8+ years of Property & Casualty actuarial experience
- BA/BS degree & FCAS designation
- Experience working with commercial or personal auto insurance
- Experience working with large-scale ML models for underwriting
- Experience working with a Captive or Self-insured program
- Prior experience working with or for a gig or sharing economy company a plus
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to clearly explain/teach complex insurance actuarial terms and techniques to internal stakeholders at all levels
- Comfort working with SQL, R, or Python
- Forward-looking approach to actuarial work
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer-obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.
Something looks off?