Senior Fullstack Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2022
Curai Health is an AI-powered virtual clinic on a mission to improve access to care at scale. As the pioneer in deploying machine learning into clinical workflows, Curai Health enables its dedicated, specially trained clinicians to deliver primary care to more people at a fraction of the cost. Easy-to-use and convenient, Curai Health partners with insurers and health systems to keep patients engaged in their care over time, improving health outcomes and reducing costs.
Our company is remote-first and we consider candidates across the United States. Our corporate office is located in San Francisco.
Fullstack Engineering at Curai
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, focused on full-stack development, to join our Product Engineering team. This team is responsible for building and maintaining our patient-facing application, our Electronic Health Record (EHR) application, and the business logic which powers care delivery by integrating these two applications together. This allows us to provide urgent and primary care to patients, and allows clinicians to prescribe medications, order laboratory tests, and more. This team also directly interfaces with our ML team’s services, allowing our clinical staff to operate at the top of their licenses, and works closely with our platform and infrastructure team to build delightful and accessible user experiences atop stable platforms.
Curai’s engineers are dedicated to changing how healthcare is delivered, and work in partnership with product managers and designers to evolve our product into a clean and seamless experience. A successful candidate for this role will build pixel-accurate user interfaces and backend systems, integrating AI, FHIR-based clinical data infrastructure, and our clinical knowledge base. You will be a crucial member of our engineering team and will help design, build, and maintain systems necessary to continue our rapid growth.
Our stack is based on React (hooks, Redux) and Python, and we continue to expand our toolkit to use the best technologies for the job at hand.
Who You Are
None of these individually are hard requirements, but they do describe the type of folks that we think would be most effective and happy at Curai. You...
• Have a strong orientation to Curai’s mission to make high-quality healthcare accessible to all
• Have worked remotely before, or have a strong feeling that you'd work well with a 100% remote team, spread across multiple time zones (mostly US, but also Europe, and Asia)
• Love tackling complex problems that span multiple systems
• Are excited to try things out to validate new features, and move on if they no longer solve a problem
• Are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, product managers, and data scientists to build product features and high-quality products
• Have demonstrated feature development ownership; you can lead by example and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers
• Value breadth of knowledge as much as specialization
• Have informed opinions that you hold lightly
• Are excited about getting on the speeding train that is a growing startup
• Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of near-term needs and Curai’s long-term strategy
• Embrace writing concise documentation so that onboarding new team members is simple and we reduce siloed domain expertise by individuals
• Have acted as a tech lead or have been in a similar, formal management role on an engineering team
What You'll Do
A day in the life of a Curai senior fullstack engineer is spent doing things like:
• Working across the stack to drive high-leverage projects from concept through to completion
• Up-leveling the team on something you have expertise in - API or system design, building applications, cloud infrastructure, healthcare data, or something else entirely
• Working with a diverse multi-disciplinary team that includes software engineers, machine learning researchers, physicians, product managers, and UX researchers
• Developing new and updating existing user-facing features
• Collaborating with backend engineers to establish consistent APIs across our services, and good patterns for interactions with our API on the frontend
• Leading and guiding cross-team, “big picture” application architectural decisions
• Producing detailed technical specifications and documentation for features
• Writing unit, integration, and end-to-end tests for new features
• Meeting with product owners, AI/ML researchers, doctors, and other stakeholders, using Agile practices to define, negotiate, and estimate features for our applications
What You'll Need
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you. You should have:
• 4-7 years of professional experience as a Fullstack Engineer leading large projects/features from design to delivery
• Extensive experience with full-stack Python web development
• Professional experience with React, including fundamental React principles, such as React components, hooks, and the React lifecycle
• An ability to balance speed of execution and thoughtful, iterative feature development
• Demonstrated experience driving software excellence via techniques ranging from static code analysis to end-to-end automated testing
• An understanding of key components of our platform and infrastructure, including AWS, Docker, Terraform, AI/ML technologies, Git, GraphQL, and RESTful services
• Experience working with healthcare data (CDA/CCD/FHIR) is a definite plus
• A demonstrable history of building and debugging scalable, high-performance web applications built with reusability and componentization in mind
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field preferred - You should be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of CS fundamentals
The annual base salary range for this position is between $160,000-$210,000. Stock grants also play a key part in any offer, they increase your overall compensation package significantly based on company success. Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies, and work location.
What We Offer
Culture: Mission driven talent with great colleagues committed to living our values, collaborating and driving performance
Wellness: Unlimited PTO, flexible working hours and remote working options
Benefits: Excellent medical, dental, vision, flex spending plans, and paid parental leave
Financial: 401k plan with employer matching
Curai Health is a startup with a small, but world-class team from high tech companies, AI researchers, practicing physicians, to team members from non-traditional career paths and backgrounds.. We also have research partnerships with leading universities across the country and access to medical data that facilitates research in this space. We are a highly collaborative, data-driven team, focused on delivering our mission with funding from top-tier Silicon Valley investors including Morningside, General Catalyst, and Khosla Ventures.
At Curai Health, we are highly committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment. In keeping with our beliefs and values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. To promote an equitable and bias-free workplace, we set competitive compensation packages for each position. We are looking for teammates that are mission-driven, embody our core values, and appreciate our transparent approach.