Manager, People Operations
Bridge International Academies
Manager, People Operations
Bridge Kenya is a community school programme that partners with parents, communities and teachers to provide a life changing education and gateway to success.
Bridge Kenya transforms lives and opens the door to a successful future for its pupils. Together with its teachers, school leaders, families and communities, it creates schools that deliver academic excellence, build the essential skills for success, and provide a caring, nurturing community that supports growth.
In 2009, Bridge Kenya opened its first school in Nairobi’s Mukuru Kwa Njenga. Since then we have iterated and innovated, building a transformative community school programme that is data-driven and evidence-based and accountable to families. We have re-engineered every part of the education system, from teacher training and support, to lesson delivery and design, construction, and administration; making community schools as effective and transparent as possible. Our success in Kenya has enabled us to create other community school programmes in Africa and beyond.
Since 2015, Bridge Kenya’s national (KCPE) exam results have continued to prove academic excellence, significantly outperforming national averages. Every year, tens of pupils from some of the most underserved communities in the country score 400+ in their KCPE with 1000s’ more scoring over 300 marks. Our Community school graduates have gone to top secondary schools and universities; both within Kenya and the US. These graduates continue to excel in various top national secondary schools in Kenya including Maranda High, Starehe Boys, Alliance Girls, Pangani Girls and MPESA Foundation. In addition, some of our first cohort of pupils are now in top universities including Nairobi University, Kenya and Amherst College in the US.
Outside of the classroom, our pupils participate in extracurricular activities such as debates and sports to help them build confidence, teamwork skills and independence. They continue to prove their co-curricular prowess – with schools competing at the national level co-curricular competitions every year and participating in East Africa regional competitions.
We are not just a community school programme, every day we work to transform lives. We are nurturing children holistically, by empowering teachers and teaching pupils to be disciplined and confident using positive behavioural techniques and approaches. These traits empower pupils to lead and a successful future long after they graduate.
Our community school programme has a long legacy of success and has opened the door to opportunities that many of our pupils and their families could never have imagined.
Quality education has the power to transform the opportunities for Kenya’s children. In joining us, you will join a group of dynamic and passionate Kenyan’s taking concrete action to help ensure a better future for the children of Kenya.
Our people are at the core of what we do, and supporting a diverse workforce that spans many industries, and many cultures, while at the same time keeping everyone aligned to our mission and mandate takes focus and determination. We work at massive scale. We are responsible for ensuring we support each team member to succeed, aligned to business goals and constraints. We are responsible for our human capital, administration of all offices and support functions, and employee engagement. We are data-driven, and leverage technology to make informed decisions and work processes. We are the champions of our culture. We value continuous learning and extensive collaboration, and have strong focus on performance. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
People Operations manages each employee's life cycle with us, with a focus on contracting, benefits, compensation, payroll, and date-driven performance management. We are the first point of contact on most issues for our team members, ensuring our policies support and encourage a strong and effective team. Working across hundreds to thousands of employees, we work at scale, with large amounts of data, leveraging technology to improve employee systems and support.
About the Role
The People Operations Team is responsible for all the touchpoints of managing the employee lifecycle, including but not limited to offer letters, contracts, benefits, performance management tools, and employee off-boarding with both local laws and company policies. People Operations uses data from employee lifecycle management to improve employee management and effectiveness, ensuring all components of the People Group are using data to drive decision-making. Effective programming within People Operations ensures that employees are seamlessly supported through their employment touchpoints, and that core employment structures and compensation strategies are used effectively to attract and retain high performing employees within the constraints of business operations.
The Manager, People Operations is responsible for specific administrative, operational and quantitative tasks that contribute to attaining the above objectives of the People Operations Team.
You’ll excel in this role if you have a penchant for designing and executing smooth processes, are a top-notch project manager, and can use quantitative skills to make data-driven decisions to inform problem-solving of people related issues within the organisation.
This role will report to the Director, People.
What You Will Do
- Administration of compensation activities and ensuring correct implementation of company procedures such as payroll
- Administer our employee data management system. Responsibilities include entering accurate staff details, and double-checking that the data is complete and accurate.
- Generating analysis reports of employee data for internal and external users such as reports to our funders.
- Compile relevant data and recommendations to guide decision-making related to compensation, organisation structure, attrition, promotions and other People Operations related activities. Analyse trends in the organisation, economy and employment marketplace to identify issues and opportunities to enhance workforce planning strategies.
- Project manage the process of job evaluation and salary surveys, supporting to ensure that approved salary bands and People policies and procedures are adhered to, to ensure the achievement of equitable and competitive employee experience.
- Managing the smooth execution of the organisation’s benefits programs including: insurance programs and leave management. Provide feedback on employee satisfaction and queries and brainstorm new cost-effective programming with the People Director and People Group.
- Carrying out research as needed on compensation programs when required to ensure that ours are aligned with the current industry trends, practices and costs.
- Evaluate compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements with regard to compensation and benefits.
- Carry out training and sending communication to ensure organisation-wide understanding of compensation and benefits and any pay-related activity e.g. reimbursements and advance policies.
- Monitor the effectiveness of People procedures across the employee life cycle such as on-boarding and induction for all those who join us
What You Should Have
- Bachelors degree from a reputable university.
- Minimum 3 years of full-time work experience after graduation from your undergraduate degree.
- Excellent email, Excel /spreadsheet, MS Word/word processing skills.
- Good knowledge or the willingness to learn and navigate labour laws.
- Strong knowledge of Salary structure, Benefits and compensation, Surveys/benchmarking, Job evaluation systems.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Experience in a challenging, dynamic and complex business environment.
- Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, confidentiality and integrity at all times.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Something looks off?