Sr. Merchant Risk Analyst
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
As a company that offers clear and transparent financing to consumers, we are extremely diligent about ensuring that our merchant partnerships are successful for Affirm, our merchants, and most importantly, our customers! Our merchant partners encompass various industries and business models, ranging from venture-backed e-commerce startups to publicly-traded enterprises.
As a Merchant Risk Analyst, you will assess financial risk related to credit, fraud and identity associated with the merchants. You will also coordinate with cross-functional partners to assess non-financial risk - brand, reputational, legal and compliance risk. The ideal candidate will have knowledge or experience in e-commerce underwriting and/or commercial lending. They will also have a solid understanding of evaluating merchant financial risk based on 3rd party data, credit reports, and other merchant attributes. Prior work experience in payments, lending, banking or financial institutions is a plus!
What You'll Do
- Assess brand, compliance, fraud and financial risk and determine credit exposure risk on new and existing merchants
- Use business credit reports, financial statements, investigative research tools, and financial market data to conduct risk assessment of Affirm’s merchants
- Investigate and use new sources of third party data to assess merchant financial risk
- Conduct ongoing monitoring of credit, fraud, and dispute/chargeback trends by merchants
- Business Process Improvement: Leverage your knowledge to provide guidance towards the automation/improvements of merchant risk evaluation
What We Look For
- 3+ years of experience in assessing merchant risk in a function such as Merchant/Seller Risk Management, Fraud, Collections, or Merchant Underwriting
- Experience working with cross functional partners across the organization, especially Sales and Business Development teams
- Experience reviewing financial statements, business credit reports and payment processor statements
- Ownership mentality: Demonstrate an appropriate sense of accountability, ownership, urgency and execution
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
Pay Grade - GBR26
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
GBR base pay range per year:
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.